THE WINGED AVENGER

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

THE WINGED AVENGER

Post by cyberrich »

The winged avenger is one of those episodes I'm sure divides everyone on this site. I fall into the camp that loves it. Purists of the monochrome era will undoubtedly groan when this one is mentioned. While I also prefer season 4, I still find much to admire in seasons 5 and 6, the next best seasons. Season 5 has been accused of being too cartoon-like. That's true, but I really don't have a problem with that. Not too great if you're not a fan of the genre, but I quite enjoy it. This particular episode is even more of a cartoon than the others. I wouldn't have wanted all the episodes to have been like this, but that's the great thing about the Avengers. Lot's of variety. Loads to enjoy in this episode. Such as Emma mountaineering with Lexius Clay in his study, Professor Pool, Steed's visit to the comic studio, Emma's fight on the ceiling. What do you think of this one?
RATING 10 OUT OF 10. 6TH BEST SEASON 5 EPISODE.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Despite a slightly awkward change of pace at times in the episode (which I imagine is down to the change of directors from Peter Duffell to Gordon Flemying), I love this one as there's a real sense of fun and doing something unusual which always helps in this season.

It was great to have Richard Harris back to the show scripting as he hadn't done any scripts since season 1 yet he totally adjusted to the new style - well he's a talented writer so there's no reason why he shouldn't. I love the idea of a comic book character brought to life by a madman - possibly not that original but a great idea for the Avengers. I don't know whose idea it was to have the comic images integrated into the visuals but it was a great one. Of course we have the classic line "Eeeee-urrrp" - a phrase I often throw out to confuse my friends. I love how Diana and Patrick play their scenes in this as they seem to be having more fun than normal, there's a wonderful playful quality to all their scenes.

Emma wears one of my favourite outfits of her when they visit the Professors house, it's stunning.

Laurie Johnson's music really gets the comic/hokey appeal of the story. I love his Avengers version of the Batman theme.

One scene that really bugs me though is the one with Sir Lexus Gray's (?) butler on the phone - oh it's interminable, it goes on forever as he pauses and speaks incredibly sssslllllllllloooooooowwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyy.

It's got Jack MacGowan as Prof. Poole who is in a class all to himself, watch him in Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I think it's great fun. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than Batmanesque entertainment and the scene where cartoon strip and reality alternate is beautifully done. The only minus for me is that when the Winged Avenger climbs the final building it is the same footage as the first, despite the buildings being entirely different: a tower block and a period mansion. Only a minor detail, I know, but attention to detail is important! Thoroughly enjoyable.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

This is a funny episode in my opinion. Like Darren mentioned, it appears that Patrick and Diana are having so much fun shooting this episode.
All in all a fun episode, and I love the ending :lol:
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Darren wrote:Despite a slightly awkward change of pace at times in the episode (which I imagine is down to the change of directors from Peter Duffell to Gordon Flemying), I love this one as there's a real sense of fun and doing something unusual which always helps in this season.

It was great to have Richard Harris back to the show scripting as he hadn't done any scripts since season 1 yet he totally adjusted to the new style - well he's a talented writer so there's no reason why he shouldn't. I love the idea of a comic book character brought to life by a madman - possibly not that original but a great idea for the Avengers. I don't know whose idea it was to have the comic images integrated into the visuals but it was a great one. Of course we have the classic line "Eeeee-urrrp" - a phrase I often throw out to confuse my friends. I love how Diana and Patrick play their scenes in this as they seem to be having more fun than normal, there's a wonderful playful quality to all their scenes.

Emma wears one of my favourite outfits of her when they visit the Professors house, it's stunning.

Laurie Johnson's music really gets the comic/hokey appeal of the story. I love his Avengers version of the Batman theme.

One scene that really bugs me though is the one with Sir Lexus Gray's (?) butler on the phone - oh it's interminable, it goes on forever as he pauses and speaks incredibly sssslllllllllloooooooowwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyy.

It's got Jack MacGowan as Prof. Poole who is in a class all to himself, watch him in Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.
Nicely summed up. Makes me want to dig it out now. :wink:

And for the record I like this episode a lot.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

How can I not love this episode? This was my first Avengers episode ever! The first thing I noticed was how, in Avengerland, you can die of being clawed to death and not a drop of blood pops up onscreen, wonderful when you're a kid and not much into gore (still not, as it happens). And then there was Steed and Emma, so in synch and wonderfully dressed and witty. This one's got loads of suspense to it, too--I find the scenes with the claws climbing up the side of the building quite suspenseful. And the comic book/screen imagery is wonderful, as has been previously mentioned. Emma's upside down fight scene, Steed and his shoebox trying to work out the physics of the thing (Option B: "He bribes the doorman."). Even the faux-Batman music is fun. So another point for this one.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I agree with Darren about the butler's phonecall. I felt exactly the same way when I watched it. One of the many things that has always impressed me about The Avengers is the accomplished performances of the cast, be they regular or guest stars. The actor playing the butler looks suitably eerie, but simply cannot act for toffee. Very awkward and amateurish. Could this be the worst performance in an Avengers episode? I love the actor who played Pool though, and he looks just like Carry on star Charles Hawtry. Nice to see all positive votes for this one, one of the best colour episodes.
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

A fine episode with only John Garrie's Tay-Ling as anything to complain about. The slow phone call was bad enough, but he's yet another western actor made up to look oriental and not getting anywhere near it.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

This was one of the earliest episodes that I saw on TV and I thought it was great and lots of fun. Almost like watching an Avengers version of Batman. Everything, including the music and comic book images were done very well and unlike some other episodes, this one didn't get too silly or OTT. Also, Emma's fight on the ceiling at the end, is one of my favorite fights in the whole series.
Allen