Quite Quite Fantastic! The Avengers for Modern Viewers

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
QuiteQuiteFantastic
Thingumajig

Quite Quite Fantastic! The Avengers for Modern Viewers

Post by QuiteQuiteFantastic »

Hello All!

I'm brand new to this forum because I just found out about it from a friend and fellow Avengers fan. I'm glad to know that there are still forums dedicated to the program. These days, one searches for "the Avengers" and is more likely to have their screen filled with links to a certain Marvel comic series or series of films.

It was partly that that made me want to bring more attention to the sixties British television version. So, I did what many people might do. I wrote a book about the show. Years ago, I ran a website called The Quite Quite Fantastic Avengers Website Ltd, which was named after the organization run by Ron Moody in "Honey for the Prince". And I decided to take all the material I had written for the website and edit it into a book. In the end, I discovered that the original writing really wasn't up to standard, so I rewrote everything. Six months later, the end result is a 209,000 word book with 427 pages at a 8.5" x 11" trim size. Boy, was I silly! ;)

Anyway, the book is called Quite Quite Fantastic! The Avengers for Modern Viewers. It's my attempt to bring newfound attention to the series and look at it from the viewpoint of today's television viewers. Both The Avengers and The New Avengers are covered in full, and it's intended to be largely comprehensive. The bulk of it is composed of reviews and analysis, but there is considerable information on production behind the scenes for each season and a series of mini-biographies of all the main stars, and many of the guest actors, directors, and screenwriters. I also review related media, like the 1998 film and some of the independent productions starring Diana Rigg. I realized at some point during the process that I was writing the Avengers book that I would like to read, and I hope that you will find it highly enjoyable.

Naturally, I'm here in part to promote my labor of love, but I look forward to discussing the series with all of you here. In the meantime, here are the links to the books on Lulu.

Softcover ($26.96): http://www.lulu.com/shop/michael-scott- ... 27351.html

Hardcover ($39.95): http://www.lulu.com/shop/michael-scott- ... 25666.html

I hope you'll consider reading my work.

Best,

Michael
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Good to see you here, Michael!

I'm sure that some forum members will member your QQF website very fondly, as I do. Your past creative work in Avengers fandom certainly stands you in good stead for writing this book.

Having discussed the book with you for some months I'm sure it will be a valuable addition to the bookshelves and reading lists of all enquiring Avengers fans.

I hope it does well for you and I look forward to reading and reviewing the book when my copy arrives. 8)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
QuiteQuiteFantastic
Thingumajig

Thanks Alan! I certainly hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed Two Against the Underworld!

Michael
Quite Quite Fantastic! The Avengers for Modern Viewers. It's the latest book on both The Avengers and The New Avengers. Available in softcover as of 1st May 2018 on Lulu.com
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Cheers!
When I first saw a new member on this forum with a nickname QuiteQuiteFantastic, I immediately remembered about the legendary website of Mike. I thought that nickname was just a coincidence, and now I find out such a double surprise. :P A double surprise, because, in the first place, the appearance of Michael in this forum is already a big event and personally evokes nostalgia for those times when the first years I wandered around the international Avengerland and loved the site Quite Quite Fantastic Avengers very much.
Secondly, the release of another detailed book about favorite TV series, this time from Michael Scott Phillips. :) I looked at book through Lulu and read the preview - I definitely will buy it. What I liked - it's completely written in the style of Mike in the way that you can remember on his wonderful site. Detailed, voluminous, interesting material (based on preview, of course), and no less important - written by a man who has a lot of experience in it.

Many Thanks Michael for your wonderful work in the form of this book. :)

......................................................................................

Important point:
Although many of us know that there exists an Internet Archive as Wayback Machine that stores many pages of now closed sites, I noticed through the years that some pages and even websites start to disappear without a trace there. This can be due to different grades of malfunctions that lead to data loss, or certain savings, etc. So there is no guarantee that any Avengers website that the resource has in storage now will be available on a permanent basis, so to speak. Moreover, I recall the periods when the author (s) of this Internet Archive referred to the fact that they needed finances to support this repository.
With books - quite another matter. I think it was a wonderful idea for Mike to transfer the important content of his website to paper and bring a lot of new to the Avengers fans.

Well, it's also valuable that it turns out that Alan not only knew about this book but also contributed to the project. :) Nice Bonus on "DVD disc". :D :D :D
Denis
QuiteQuiteFantastic
Thingumajig

denis rigg wrote:Cheers!
When I first saw a new member on this forum with a nickname QuiteQuiteFantastic, I immediately remembered about the legendary website of Mike. I thought that nickname was just a coincidence, and now I find out such a double surprise. :P A double surprise, because, in the first place, the appearance of Michael in this forum is already a big event and personally evokes nostalgia for those times when the first years I wandered around the international Avengerland and loved the site Quite Quite Fantastic Avengers very much.
Secondly, the release of another detailed book about favorite TV series, this time from Michael Scott Phillips. :) I looked at book through Lulu and read the preview - I definitely will buy it. What I liked - it's completely written in the style of Mike in the way that you can remember on his wonderful site. Detailed, voluminous, interesting material (based on preview, of course), and no less important - written by a man who has a lot of experience in it.
Wow -- you are so kind! That's very generous of you to say. You might be more than slightly overselling my talents but I appreciate it nevertheless. It has been quite a lot of work, and I'm excited to hear everyone's feedback in the coming months. I'm currently moving on to my second science-fiction novel, which is now in the backstory development stage.
Well, it's also valuable that it turns out that Alan not only knew about this book but also contributed to the project. :) Nice Bonus on "DVD disc". :D :D :D
Yes, I reached out to Alan early on in the process to ask his permission to reference material in Two Against the Underworld. At the time, I was uncertain what I wanted to do about Season One since Quite Quite Fantastic! is primarily a book of reviews much like the website. Ultimately, I veered in the direction of a comprehensive resource, which seems wise in retrospect, and I re-reconstructed Season One. Two Against the Underworld easily remains the definitive resource on Season One however. Alan has been awesome, and I'm really grateful for all his help. He very much deserved a line in the acknowledgements.

Also, I've noticed that the Lulu preview of the book cover looks quite hideous and doesn't represent the cover at all as it should be. So, I'm going to post a proper preview of the whole thing here, back and front, so everyone can see it.

Michael
Quite Quite Fantastic! The Avengers for Modern Viewers. It's the latest book on both The Avengers and The New Avengers. Available in softcover as of 1st May 2018 on Lulu.com
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

I remember this webside very well.
I will put a message on the French forum for this new book. Congratulations !
http://lemondedesavengers.fr/forum/
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

Nice work, im really looking forward to getting a copy. I appreciate anything Avengers that keeps the series alive and it sounds like your book definitely does that. Congratulations
QuiteQuiteFantastic
Thingumajig

Thanks Denis and Big Bear!

I'm going to be promoting the book over the next few weeks, so I'm currently designing new graphics and whatnot. I was going to post the cover here but I've discovered that I'm locked out of my web domain. Some kind of SSL password thing. Bizarre but true. So, I have nowhere to host images right now.

Anyway, I'll post the proper cover later. Also, if you guys want, nominate an episode or two here, and I'll post a sample from the book.

Michael
QuiteQuiteFantastic
Thingumajig

Here is a better version of the updated cover for the paperback. The only difference with the hardcover is that some of the text moves to the flaps.

Michael
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

Thanks for posting, cover looks good.
I would love to read an extract from the episode The Thirteenth Hole, I know its not loved by everyone but I love its outdoor locations and general playfulness. thank you :)