6.07 - Look (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) But...

Rate 'Look – (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) But There Were These Two Fellers...'

36%
12%
20%
12%
8%
4%
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 25

Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Actually, I just thought, while typing the word "vaudeville", that what with the use of that word and the notion of Vauda Villa ... it's another instance of ABC cutting their cloth to fit an American customer. It's really an American term whereas Steed and Tara would generally be referring to "Music Hall" (as indeed Bradley Marler does) or "Variety". Dessington again talks of his company buying up "a whole chain of Vaudeville theatres". So it's using imagery which was present in the UK ... but in terms of US vocabulary.
That's interesting, thanks Andrew. I have wondered about that every time I watched this one but never looked it up, assuming that Vaudeville was a word integral to the Music Hall business that I simply had not come across elsewhere; I had no idea it was American...
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Andrew Pixley wrote:Actually, I just thought, while typing the word "vaudeville", that what with the use of that word and the notion of Vauda Villa ... it's another instance of ABC cutting their cloth to fit an American customer. It's really an American term whereas Steed and Tara would generally be referring to "Music Hall" (as indeed Bradley Marler does) or "Variety". Dessington again talks of his company buying up "a whole chain of Vaudeville theatres". So it's using imagery which was present in the UK ... but in terms of US vocabulary.
That's interesting, thanks Andrew. I have wondered about that every time I watched this one but never looked it up, assuming that Vaudeville was a word integral to the Music Hall business that I simply had not come across elsewhere; I had no idea it was American...
You know ... I've a feeling it was something I learnt comparatively recently in a BBC Four documentary which went through the history of British Music Hall and subsequently Variety ... while also comparing to Vaudeville and Burlesque. But it was something that I'd not understood prior to seeing the programme. :)

All the best

Andrew
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

10 from me. My idea of a perfect Avengers episode.

I'm now watching the ITV4 afternoon transmissions. I probably haven't seen this one since its first broadcast. I remembered the egg sequences but had no recollection of John Cleese being in it, perhaps I didn't know him at the time.

~iw