No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

6.17 - They Keep Killing Steed

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate They Keep Killing Steed.

Written by Brian Clemens
Directed by Robert Fuest
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

A good fun script from Clemens (written for Spain, I'm glad they didn't go) with a great villain and enjoyable Steed business. Lovely surreal moments with Mother, Tara has a great bond with Von Kurt.

"That's Steed, who else would smile at a time like this".

Robert Fuest direction is gorgeous. He makes a quarry look fascinating. Clever use of a taxi as an entrance to an underground hideout. Wonderful panning, tracking and hand held shots of the conference as the Steeds mingle, all very disorientating accompanied by Johnson's quirky score.

10/10
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I have to give this 10. Ogilvy is sublime and Tara is at her best.

The conversations between Steed and Arco are gripping and you can sense the one-upmanship battle for mastery, with each admiring the other - equally matched for a while, as they tussle via a chess game and accompanying verbal jousts. Steed admiring the knight's agility (and after all, the knight is a steed) and noting that Arco leans heavily upon his pawns.

In the end, Arco has to become Steed - there's something pre-ordained about it. He's almost a Steed fan. You sense his loyalty to his country/masters played less of a part in his mission than wanting to better the British master agent.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

9 from me. Like the rural scenes.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

10 out of 10 for this classic! :D Several Avengers episodes dealt with doubles, and this was the best of them (though I have to add that TNA's Faces is the very best doubles episode). This has a great plot and has a Summery feel good quality. I love Mother's submarine hideout (maybe the 2nd best one after the bus). I also love Tara's interaction with Ian Ogilvy, a sort of prelude to TNA with the three way lead. Rich.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I like this episode for Steed - Baron von Something is obnoxious and Tara appears to lose all reason the second he pops up. But Steed is at his finest, managing to do most of the work despite being the target.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I enjoy this episode hugely, and it's the one I frequently opt for when I get an attack of the afternoon Avengers munchies. Tara looks her absolute best of the entire series in the leather bomber jacket towards the latter part of the episode, It's just a pity about Ian Ogilvy, bleached hair, dire acting (I'll knock a point off for him). I wait ever time for this guys short appearance. his face as he realises who he is to become is priceless.

"So, I am to be Steeeeed" :lol:

Image[/img]
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

This is a great episode. We have a nicely lean Steed (thanks to an amphetamined Macnee) in an interesting episode, both with a keen psychological aspect with the diabolical mastermind who kidnapped him, combined with a quirky sci-fi invention.

You have to put up with the Baron, true, but nonetheless, a great episode for solid Steed fans.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

5/10

Having just experienced the plot holes in "Have Guns..." I found this episode's even worse anomalies totally frustrating. What were the other doppelgangers going to be if they weren't Steed? Why didn't Steed just replace his mask with another instead of planting more of his own.? Why wasn't Tara at the conference in the first place? Worst of all was Smythe ordering all the Steed's to be killed on no evidence at all that the real one was already dead ... and then decides the one to focus on is the Steed who has just saved the whole conference!

The plot was good but the flimsy execution ruined it for me. The episode was only saved by Ray McAnally's brilliant performance as the villain and Ian Ogilvy's Mercedes roadster.

~iw