Post by Rhonda »

8 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

5/10

I really hated this when I first saw it on the BBC Two repeat run but when I came back to it, there were a few sweet scenes between the leads that made me warm to it - but ultimately it just doesn't feel Avengery enough. If it was shot in a really stylish way that made France seem exotic and stylish and they had some really great locations it could have worked but it's just too mundane - a problem that besets much of season 2.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

As usual, I love this episode, both the first and second. I don't love everything about it, but as a Steedophile, this episode has LOADS of things to appreciate.

Steed's calling Mrs. Peel--well, it's nice to know I guess they kept in touch even thought she broke his heart getting back together with her husband.

The plot is interesting and at least Steed isn't considered a traitor. The step by step figuring out of the plot is intriguing.

Steed's holding the live grenade all calm and collected was fun.

I found the angle of which he was shot in the chest on the roof, luckily protected by his cigarette case, unusual in terms of physics, but it was a good moment for Steed fans and Pat acted it well. Believing Steed to be dead, Gambit's injury is put to the side as Purdey instead shows her true emotions for Steed.

The story at the end with the assassin being in the church is well done. TNA handles Steed's being shot in the shoulder much more realistically than many other TV shows/movies; being shot in the shoulder is medically a terrible place to be shot. There is the shoulder capsule, a bunch of nerves, blood vessels; it is really a bad place to be shot. In many cases, being shot through a lung is easier to recover from!

So, having Steed get shot and barely make it to get the bells ringing before he collapses was very realistic medically. The follow-up with Purdey and Gambit run there, see him collapsed and just stand around looking at him was very unhelpful. Uh, HELLO! Steed is BLEEDING and GRAVELY WOUNDED! Please do not just stand there! But let's assume, after a moment or two, the amount of blood pouring out of him stimulated them to at least call for an ambulance, as he did survive, and with his arm in a sling, received that Russian award.

All in all, solid episodes and great for Steed fans.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I love all the views of Paris which I visited a few times in the 1970's and 80's.

There is a view of Notre Dame through the bell towers towards the spire (followed by the Eiffel Tower) near the end - just before Colonel Martin says "Steed, our gratitude".

Watching the episode now, this scene reminds us of the terrible Notre Dame fire.
Ron
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Shot on location in England and France, a few of the English locations are to be found on the 'Avengerland' website. Other than sights of Paris I don't see any place names in the scenes in France that would locate them. It would be great to find out where places such as the village where Gaspard's funeral takes place actually is and see how it looks today. Maybe somebody recognises it? or Joanna Lumley, Pierre Vernier (Colonel Martin), some other cast or crew or the locations manager Ginette Mejinsky would know.
Ron
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

The cemetery is that of the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Taverny, in the Val d'Oise; Steed receives the radio call from Gambit in the small town of Bethemont-la-Forêt. This small town is located in the north of Île-de-France
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Thanks, I'll go and look them up.
Ron