What Are the Chances of a Comeback?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
DaveDJ
White Dwarf

What Are the Chances of a Comeback?

Post by DaveDJ »

I'd love the show to come back in some guise. It would have to be retitled, though, so as not to be confused with the Marvel property.

Studio Canal, I think, own the rights (?)

Is there anything stopping it from happening? I know Shane Black was attached to a reboot last year, but I haven't heard anything since.

It has to happen, though, right?
Sam
Winged Avenger

Re: What Are the Chances of a Comeback?

Post by Sam »

DaveDJ wrote:I'd love the show to come back in some guise. It would have to be retitled, though, so as not to be confused with the Marvel property.

Is there anything stopping it from happening? I know Shane Black was attached to a reboot last year, but I haven't heard anything since.

Bryan Fuller talked about a reboot as well, but he has a history of bailing from projects before they even hit the screen!
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Even if they did bring it back (and they wont) it would be dark, gritty and will have had all the fun taken out of it.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I don't mind stuff that is clearly inspired by it but I really don't see it coming back.

I'm open to being proved wrong though.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I don't see why it should have to be retitled. We were there first. Marvel can retitle their rubbish. In fact wasn't the first Avengers film of their renamed for distribution in the UK Hmmph.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I really don't think a comeback is a good idea. The New Avengers managed it to a greater or lesser degree because elements of the original show could be seen, and the creative team behind it were generally the same.

Comebacks with different actors playing the same part are, in my opinion, generally not successful. The recent revival of Van Der Valk has not been seen as successful by many who tuned in out of love for the original.

I believe Doctor Who to be the exception, as throughout the history of the programme it has been rebooted with a different actor - although there are many who say the new version of the programme is not faithful to the original (a whole different debate).

The Avengers was born out of a time when boundaries were being pushed, in terms of story telling and female leads, where a country emerging from the shadow of war into a greater self confidence lead to more surreal tastes. The cultural origins of where the show came from are long gone, and I don't feel we are able to recreate them. The film had so many elements that were straight out of the more successful episodes of the series, yet it was a total disaster (ok, I concede that is another different debate), but you get my drift.

As a fan of archive television, I am happy to watch both monochrome and colour versions of the series. I think we should promote it for what it was. Often, a revived series aims to meet the desires of a current audience, which in turn alienates the audience who originally enjoyed the format because it no longer appeals to them as the programme they originally fell in love with.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Reviving it would 99% chance not work. The legacy of The Avengers should not be rehashing it, but reusing its successful elements. In this sense The Avengers has lots of offspring. Maybe one day a series that comes really close, but I don't think this is the era for it.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Thank goodness it was made in a stylish age, and continues to mature like a fine wine.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: What Are the Chances of a Comeback?

Post by mousemeat »

Sam wrote:
DaveDJ wrote:I'd love the show to come back in some guise. It would have to be retitled, though, so as not to be confused with the Marvel property.

Bryan Fuller talked about a reboot as well, but he has a history of bailing from projects before they even hit the screen!
He also has a history, of getting fired from a project as well...or darn near crashing it...
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I don't see why it should have to be retitled. We were there first. Marvel can retitle their rubbish. In fact wasn't the first Avengers film of their renamed for distribution in the UK Hmmph.
the more I think about this, The more I would concur with Frankymole. However, I just don't think it'll ever happen...and that ill fated Avengers film of what, 1998, certainly proved that scenario. I would like to see a re mastered director's cut of the film..with deleted scenes restored, etc...but I don't see Warners going to the trouble...as the DVD, is long out of print in the States.