The Avengers Files by Andrew Pixley.

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
steveothen
White Dwarf

The Avengers Files by Andrew Pixley.

Post by steveothen »

Would anyone be able to tell me if the book "The Avengers Files by Andrew Pixley" is worth getting ?, i was thinking of tracking down a copy, but wouldn't mind a couple of opinions on here before purchasing.
Any help would be most welcome.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I really liked it but it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's written as if the episodes are footage somehow recorded of real secret service missions and all the characters are real people. It's an interesting conceit and pretty much pays off although of course he has to wrestle with plot and character inconsistencies along the way.

It has a ton of information which you will find in a drier delivery in Mike's book or in a more realistic plot, exposition, cast & crew manner in Alan's books and on my website.

(I heard someone else is also working on a book, which makes me wonder if I should turn my site into one or if the market is too saturated already).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I found it entertaining and it has plenty of detail on the plots not just of the TV series but also the comic strips in TV Comic, Diana etc. Lots of on-screen trivia from the episodes that worked especially well if you're interested in the running order of the stories from a chronological, in-universe point of view. Which I am.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: The Avengers Files by Andrew Pixley.

Post by Andrew Pixley »

steveothen wrote:Would anyone be able to tell me if the book "The Avengers Files by Andrew Pixley" is worth getting ?, i was thinking of tracking down a copy, but wouldn't mind a couple of opinions on here before purchasing.
Any help would be most welcome.
As the author of the book Steve... I would recommend that you get it very, very cheaply if you get it at all.

It started off as a lot of fun to do... and indeed, we had some great opportunities to see and read a lot of stuff. But it was very much an experiment... and by the time we got to the end of it and went "Hmmmm... This doesn't really work does it?" then it's too late because the printers have been booked and amazon are promoting it with utterly misleading claims (it was initially listed as being a "behind-the-scenes book"... which it never, ever was intended to be...).

The joke of the book was that we did a book about the television series "The Avengers" without ever admitting to "The Avengers" being a television series. A lot of people joined in with the joke... but at the end of the day I think it was only about half-a-dozen people who were in on the joke that got it... and everyone else just ended up rather disappointed.

If you're still aiming to get a book on "The Avengers" and want one about the production side of the series, then there's no question: Michael Richardson's "Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots" from Telos... it's the single best overview of the series that'[s been done.

If you did end up getting a copy of "The Avengers Files"... erm... sorry... I hope it was cheap. And if it wasn't, I hope you managed to find a microbe of value or enjoyment in it somewhere...

All the best

Andrew
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

I wrote a review for thé French website some years ago.
https://www.lemondedesavengers.fr/index ... s/guides#5