No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

6.10 - You'll Catch Your Death

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate You'll Catch Your Death.

Written by Jeremy Burnham
Directed by Paul Dickson
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

The simple premise of this story, of a scientist killing rivals using biological agents delivered to specific victims in sealed envelopes, is notable in the show for being completely plauasable and topical. In fact, its so topical that its timeless and is as relevant today as on first broadcast. The window dressing of the secret base and the various eccentric methods of the organisation disguise the story as the usual 'middle era' SF-fantasy, but its interesting how aware the show could actually be. The cast in this story is full of familiar faces, and I especially enjoyed Fulton Mackay (Dr Who & the Silurians) as this episode's diabolical mastermind! Tara doesn't achieve as much her as in other stories perhaps, cast in the role of victim for much of the story, but Linda was lovely as always and the yellow/grey outfit with the hat was absolutely stunning! One additional point of interest is the callous way that Steed kills Mackay's character Glover at the end of the episode, by releasing the biological agent into the tunnel the villain was climbing down, which seems to show quite a dark side to his personality behind all the cheeriness! Overall? Not the most memorable or quirky episode, but a solid 7/10 nonetheless.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Not a bad one at all - actually a very topical plot, and quite convincing. Enjoyed Tara's clever use of ether and potassium chloride (?). I was surprised that Steed allowed himself to be talked into not doing anything to find her - he's usually off and running when his partners are in danger. Slightly reinforces the view of Tara as a victim, unfortunately. Steed makes up for it by being quite elegant, though.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

5 from me. Like the props.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Brigadier Q
Nutshell

Post by Brigadier Q »

I actually forgot I had watched this one!

Not bad - some great sets (The Nose!), wonderful locations (Lucky that most of the men who needed to be infected lived in Regent's Park!!!) and a great role for Fulton Mackay.

I agree with earlier comments that Tara is turning into a bit of a victim.

Overall - fun.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Interesting to read the previous comments, some 6 years old, about the story being relevant. Here in 2020 the idea of unleashing a virus for which there is no cure is all too real.

Good cast but I found the story running out of steam too quickly. I can put up with a few plot holes but too many this time.

5/10. Just about par.

On a general note, my son has been watching these with me since he was very young and enjoyed the Peel era (I think!). He is less enamoured with the Tara episodes. A particular gripe is the character of Mother which he feels has robbed Steed of the enigmatic mystery he previously enjoyed.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I wonder what he'd think of One-Ten!!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Ian Wegg wrote:Interesting to read the previous comments, some 6 years old, about the story being relevant. Here in 2020 the idea of unleashing a virus for which there is no cure is all too real.

Good cast but I found the story running out of steam too quickly. I can put up with a few plot holes but too many this time.

5/10. Just about par.

On a general note, my son has been watching these with me since he was very young and enjoyed the Peel era (I think!). He is less enamoured with the Tara episodes. A particular gripe is the character of Mother which he feels has robbed Steed of the enigmatic mystery he previously enjoyed.
Recently revisited this episode after several years...and somehow, I now tend to view it in a much better light...the whole bio-agent, via envelope, etc..isn't as far fetched as it was once viewed..as for mother, I can take her or leave her..depends on the scope of the script, in my opinion.