Ian Hendry

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:I've just bought This is my street on dvd. I saw this on Talking pictures a few months ago. It's a great underrated movie that Ian made in 1964. A kind of kitchen-sink drama, much like A mind of loving. Ian gave a terrific performance in this. It was nice to see Mike Pratt and Annette Andre in this film, a few years before their more famous collaboration.

interesting poster.....well done.....btw, of everyone who commented on this thread, what program and/or/film do you feel is Ian's best performance, etc ?
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Best performance? I haven't seen them all, but his best dramatic performance would have to be in The Hill. For laughs, I'd say Live now pay later. Ian was very convincing in both of these.

mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Best performance? I haven't seen them all, but his best dramatic performance would have to be in The Hill. For laughs, I'd say Live now pay later. Ian was very convincing in both of these.

i would concur the hill....i also liked him in journey around the sun....I need to track down PAY NOW.....should be a hoot...
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Live now pay later is on youtube. The picture quality isn't top notch, a bit wavy in places, but it's watchable enough. It's a great film. Enjoy! :)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Remembering Ian Hendry, born this day in 1931.

Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Live now pay later is on youtube. The picture quality isn't top notch, a bit wavy in places, but it's watchable enough. It's a great film. Enjoy! :)

I checked it out...(you tube) and it's a keeper......MAN, I would love some outfit like kino-lober, arrow, criterion, etc remaster it, and put it out on DVD or
Blu-Ray...especially with some extras....damn, maybe they have..I'll begin the search....have they put it out in the UK ??
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

No, not according to find-dvd.co.uk. A search brings up the fact that dodgy off-air 1980s Channel 4 broadcasts are available (presumably pirate DVD-Rs) but they're worse than YouTube, and no extras of course!

Putting Ian's name in as an actor search on find-dvd.co.uk does bring up some interesting things I didn't know were out like the complete Jemima Shore Investigates (he plays her boss), The Lotus Eaters, and Polanski's "Repulsion".

There's a review of Jemima Shore here but it sounds like it might be a bit depressing for Hendry fans. https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/dvd_ ... te-series/ That said I saw a couple when I was young and quite enjoyed them.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Talking Pictures TV in the UK is showing this underrated gem (on its Encore "catch-up service") - written by and directed by Brian Clemens, music by Laurie Johnson, co-produced by Albert Fennell, and introduced tonight by its star Caroline Munro (who says Clemens was a real mentor to her).

Packed with Avengers actors like John Carson (who IMHO is one of the best actors Britain ever produced), John Hollis, John Cater (not all Avengers actors have to be called John, but it helps) and Wanda Ventham, and of course this gentleman, without whom there'd be no Avengers at all...

It's a much nicer, more vibrant print than the awful one on YouTube, worth a look if you're in the UK - it's free!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:No, not according to find-dvd.co.uk. A search brings up the fact that dodgy off-air 1980s Channel 4 broadcasts are available (presumably pirate DVD-Rs) but they're worse than YouTube, and no extras of course!

Putting Ian's name in as an actor search on find-dvd.co.uk does bring up some interesting things I didn't know were out like the complete Jemima Shore Investigates (he plays her boss), The Lotus Eaters, and Polanski's "Repulsion".

There's a review of Jemima Shore here but it sounds like it might be a bit depressing for Hendry fans. https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/dvd_ ... te-series/ That said I saw a couple when I was young and quite enjoyed them.

thanks for the update...perhaps one of those companies, (kino-lober etc) will put it out
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

It's about 4 years since Tunnel of fear had a dvd release. With Girl on the trapeze that makes 2 Dr Keel episodes they've discovered since the millenium. A grand total now of three and a third episodes. Surely there are more season 1 episodes hiding out there somewhere. Obviously some were live so we'll never see those. I can't remember now how many were recorded to tape, but Tunnel of fear was discovered in a private collection. What can be done by Avengers fans to encourage private collectors and tv stations around the world to have a good root around to see what's hiding? I'm sure I'm not the only fan who can't wait to see more Dr Keel episodes. :D