No votes
8%
No votes
8%

Total votes: 13

johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

I asked a friend of mine who is Canadian and lives there what he thought about TNA in Canada and he said they were pretty awful and that was after I told him about Maurice Good being in one and being Canadian which he didn't know! :lol:
JB
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

Watched this one again last night. I know for some, this isn't a well liked episode, but I love it. I read somewhere, probably one of Dave Rogers's books, that had TNA had a new series, it would have stepped back more towards the original series in tone. I feel this episode was like a link between the gritty new series and the whimsical and fantastical predecessor.
It has clownish local characters, a piece of land which comes and goes as it pleases, witty and sparkling dialogue ( Dennis Spooner delivered Witty scripts for other series) and some really good use of incidental music.

Others here have commented on the some the dialogue between Gambit and Purdey - in the car when Gambit runs out on Purdey whiles she discusses the fickleness of man, but I also like the scene where they see on the bridge watching the agent collect the mark VI from under the tree. Addiitionally, one of the my favourite lines is when Gambit is Telling Steed he threw the circuit into the lake. Steed says shall I drive or you and Gambit replies well it is a left handed swan - again, the slightly bizarre response you would get from series 5 or 6.

I agree that the setting is a bit dull. Canada in the city is presented as a concrete jungle, but isn't that how cities looked in the mid 70s? I think the scenes around the lake and in the forest look fab. Others have suggested a Scottish setting would be good, and I can see that working.

Gambit was beginning to be a bit of a spare part by the end of the series, I think. If you like at the last 10 mins of this episode he barely features other than a few inserts of him I saying "What?" iin the hospital. However, all three characters get to shine at times showing what makes them who they are.

Over all, I gave this 8.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....