The Lost Episodes - New Releases

Discussion of Big Finish Avengers releases including The Lost Episodes and Steed and Mrs Peel.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Darren wrote:Julian Wadham said in the Vortex Magazine:

“From what I’ve heard, STUDIOCANAL, who own the rights to The Avengers, have been very pleased with the results of what we’ve done, so who knows, perhaps we could get their permission to do more with Steed and Keel when we’ve finished these episodes?"
That would be fantastic, Fingers crossed there are more to come.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

THE LOST EPISODES VOLUME 07 - Out Today, just off for a cup of Earl Grey and a listen to Dragonsfield :wink:
Last edited by Avengerholic on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macfly77
Thingumajig

Post by Macfly77 »

Avengerholic wrote:THE LOST EPISODES VOLUME 07 - Out Today, just off for a cup of Earl Grey and a to listen to Dragonsfield :wink:
I would love to do it too, but since my last order with Big Finish, they added a £6,50 per order fee for international orders and I don't really want to buy the downloadable version, as I already own the physical version of the first six volumes.
Maybe adding the second boxset of Prisoner episodes to my basket will make the "per order fee pill" easier to swallow.
Would be easier if The Prisoner hadn't been delayed till August, though...
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Macfly77 wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:THE LOST EPISODES VOLUME 07 - Out Today, just off for a cup of Earl Grey and a to listen to Dragonsfield :wink:
I would love to do it too, but since my last order with Big Finish, they added a £6,50 per order fee for international orders and I don't really want to buy the downloadable version, as I already own the physical version of the first six volumes.
Maybe adding the second boxset of Prisoner episodes to my basket will make the "per order fee pill" easier to swallow.
Would be easier if The Prisoner hadn't been delayed till August, though...
Mmmmm, I'm not sure how things work with overseas orders, Do you not get free shipping if you preorder titles as you do in the UK ?

Drangonsfield was hugely enjoyable, although I did miss the inclusion of Anthony Howell as Keel in this story, he's really what makes these releases for me personally. Probably just me, but I did get a little confused between Lisa & Susan's voices at the end of the final act, I had to go back and replay that section 2 or 3 times.
Last edited by Avengerholic on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macfly77
Thingumajig

Post by Macfly77 »

Avengerholic wrote:Mmmmm, I'm not sure how things work with overseas orders, Do you not get free shipping if you preorder titles as you do in the UK ?
As an international (first, USA, now Belgium) customer, I never got free shipping for my Big Finish orders.
However, the "Per order" fee is fairly new (apparently, the Shipping Rates page of the Big Finish website was updated at the beginning of September).

Per Big Finish's website:

"INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES

All international parcels are shipped via DHL's Global Mail Packet service.

For all international zones, the fees are calculated as follows:

Standard jewel CD (1-2) discs: £1.50 per item
Larger items and box sets: £3.00 per item
Postage costs are cumulative, and also subject to a per order charge of £6.50."
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Macfly77 wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:Mmmmm, I'm not sure how things work with overseas orders, Do you not get free shipping if you preorder titles as you do in the UK ?
As an international (first, USA, now Belgium) customer, I never got free shipping for my Big Finish orders.
However, the "Per order" fee is fairly new (apparently, the Shipping Rates page of the Big Finish website was updated at the beginning of September).

Per Big Finish's website:

"INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES

All international parcels are shipped via DHL's Global Mail Packet service.

For all international zones, the fees are calculated as follows:

Standard jewel CD (1-2) discs: £1.50 per item
Larger items and box sets: £3.00 per item
Postage costs are cumulative, and also subject to a per order charge of £6.50."
Eh ! So if you purchase a single CD, you're charged £1.50 postage plus a £6.50 order charge ? Surely not :shock:
Macfly77
Thingumajig

Post by Macfly77 »

Avengerholic wrote:Eh ! So if you purchase a single CD, you're charged £1.50 postage plus a £6.50 order charge ? Surely not :shock:
Indeed. Or, in the case of The Lost Episodes Volume 07, £3.00 postage plus £6.50 per order charge.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Macfly77 wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:Eh ! So if you purchase a single CD, you're charged £1.50 postage plus a £6.50 order charge ? Surely not :shock:
Indeed. Or, in the case of The Lost Episodes Volume 07, £3.00 postage plus £6.50 per order charge.
Good Lord I'm truly stunned, that's ridiculous !

Loving The Far Distant Dead, great to have a solo Keel episode, especially as he was absent in the previous story. A very fine final set thus far.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Alan wrote: It'll be interesting, though it does make the "Lost Episodes" moniker a tad inaccurate in Girl on the Trapeze's case!
Not entirely - as the inlay makes clear, it was for a long time just as lost as all the others except "The Frighteners". I still have no idea why that one was kept! It's certainly not representative of series 1 as a whole.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I've become a bit of a fan of Dan Starkey since "Crescent Moon" and "Diamond Cut Diamond". I knew he was a good mimic from his TV work, but his vocal range is astonishing here - he plays several different characters, sometimes in consecutive lines, and totally fooled me - I thought it was a different actor each time, until I checked the credits. Not just timbre of voice but mannerisms, and good expression of emotion too. He might've made a very good Steed! But I'll happily take him as One-Ten. His Vasco in Crescent Moon was particularly reminiscent of the role's original actor, Roger Delgado - as a Pertwee-era Who enthusiast Dan Starkey must've loved taking the part of the man who was "The Master".

Is it just me or does "5" (Steed's first boss) sound quite different in his second appearance? Maybe a different actor. I think it's Luis Soto in Crescent Moon, but Phil Mulryne in Square Root of Evil (he's listed as "S" on the Big Finish page, maybe that's a typo). I liked the terse, businesslike "5" from the earlier story, he sounded like a fast thinker and that nothing would faze him; he took Keel's involvement in his stride. Maybe they replaced that "5"with another man with the same codename, as he didn't seem to remember speaking to Keel, by the time of the later story.
Last watched: "Mandrake"