The Living Dead (or The X files?)

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

The Living Dead (or The X files?)

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched The Living dead. Very good episode, though there are better ones in season 5. Julian Glover was excellent as always. Just how many episodes centre around graveyards! One thing that struck me was that the creators of The X files (another favourite show of mine) must have studied The Avengers. In this episode we have two characters, one representing FOG (Friends of ghosts), and one for SMOG (Scientific measurement of ghosts). Sound familiar?
RATING 8 OUT OF 10. 15TH BEST SEASON 5 EPISODE.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

The X-Files never did it for me - it always seemed rather empty of anything and those miserable lead characters!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Who was the actress in the X Files? She was a New Avengers fan, apparently...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Gillian Anderson. Whe was in her early 20's when she started the X-Files. I never cared much for the series either. They left just about every storyline hanging with no resolution.

She was also in "Bleak House" on the BBC.

<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

VA_Avenger wrote:Gillian Anderson. Whe was in her early 20's when she started the X-Files. I never cared much for the series either. They left just about every storyline hanging with no resolution.

She was also in "Bleak House" on the BBC.

Crikey! She looks good there! I never thought of her as particularly attractive. In that photo she is though!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I agree with Mr Sic Friat Crustulum, she is ather stunning. GRrowwl!

I quite enjoyed X Files at the start, but got tired of it halfway through. Some series just outgrow their welcome. There was no humour in the show either - not very 'Avengers'....
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

The X files was great in its first 3 seasons. I agree it did outstay its welcome. The last 4 seasons were pretty boring. A lot of series sadly go on and on and lose all the good work accomplished early on. On the other hand, other classic series like Fawlty Towers only produced 12 episodes, and ended too soon. I think the Avengers got it about right. Six seasons of constantly evolving television.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

That was the strength of The Avengers - change. I don't think I could've taken six seasons of David Keel and John Steed.

However another season of Diana Rigg would have been heaven. ;)
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

If only! Diana left far too early. I suppose she wanted to leave while everyone still wanted more. Much better than everyone thinking 'not this again.' As far as I'm concerned though, I can never have enough of The Avengers. I've got over 150 episodes (inc TNA), enough to watch one a week for 3 years, and I still want more.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Xfiles was a victim of its own mythology. It got way too convoluted for its own good. Actually 1 of the major inspirations for the show was Kolchalk the Night Stalker. Basically a guy who battled paranormal adversaries and threats that most people refuse to even entertain the possibility that they may exist.

Yes the show for the most part was devoid of humor and the characters do appear miserable since the lead character is someone who was highly traumatized as a boy and that trauma is the foundation of his motivation.

Actually there was occasional black humor to the show and they often did some pretty thought provoking episodes not just about UFOs but faith, trust, death etc etc. It greatly pushed the envelop of network tv and during the 90s was 1 of the few thinsg that gave the Fox Network respectability.. To this day the episode "Clyde Buckman's Final Repose" is a sad but moving tale that won a couple of emmys and "Home" is still 1 of the most disturbing hours of television ever.

Actually Gillian Anderson is a rather a versatile actress. Her character of Dana Scully I always found complicated and fascinating. An intelligent and capable agent who although becomes more openminded over the years still has a hard time blindly or immediately accepting an explanantion that relies on the paranormal. However she is someone who is profoundly spiritual and believes in the afterlife.

Anderson has done a broad range of work, albeit nto a big box office draw. Bleak House being her most recent work of note. How she comes across depends on the cameraman and director. The woman is short and curvy and a more round face so some angles will look far better than others.