Diana Rigg-The Biography

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

cyberrich wrote:I've just read the next chapter which is also about The Avengers, and the author writes that Elizabeth Shepherd was fired and the producers studied the previous audition tapes for a second time. "This time they were intrigued with an actress who had previously slipped under their radar." I've either forgotten this, or I wasn't aware that Diana had auditioned at the same time as Elizabeth Shepherd. I've assumed for some time that Diana auditioned after they had fired Shepherd. If what the author has said is correct, then it's incredible that they didn't hire Diana straight away. I wish her audition tapes still existed :!:
There's a reason in an "unauthorised" biography, it's a shoddy piece of cutting and pasting and getting things spectacularly wrong.

Franky is right, one of the production team had seen Diana in "The Hothouse" and recommended they get her in to audition when Liz was let go.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:
cyberrich wrote:I've just read the next chapter which is also about The Avengers, and the author writes that Elizabeth Shepherd was fired and the producers studied the previous audition tapes for a second time. "This time they were intrigued with an actress who had previously slipped under their radar." I've either forgotten this, or I wasn't aware that Diana had auditioned at the same time as Elizabeth Shepherd. I've assumed for some time that Diana auditioned after they had fired Shepherd. If what the author has said is correct, then it's incredible that they didn't hire Diana straight away. I wish her audition tapes still existed :!:
There's a reason in an "unauthorised" biography, it's a shoddy piece of cutting and pasting and getting things spectacularly wrong.

Franky is right, one of the production team had seen Diana in "The Hothouse" and recommended they get her in to audition when Liz was let go.
Yeah, some bios do have the reputation of being quite shoddy, wrong information, and more...Then there are a few others, that are well done, filled with correct information ...but are unauthorized, because they couldn't get proper permission or clearance from the person in question, or from their estate...sometimes, the subject may have chosen their own 'ghost writer' to bring the project to light...

as for what really happened ....sounds like Diana'a performance in 'the HOTHOUSE' was her ticket for her audition..

of course, neither Diana or Patrick are around to set the record straight...perhaps someone like Ray Austin, could shed some light on this.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Yes, as I said in the first post this book is unofficial and there are a lot of quotes from newspapers and magazines spanning her entire career. Most of what the author has written is correct I think, but every now and again I start shaking my head. I'd never heard of her auditioning before Elizabeth Shepherd was given the role, and I was sure this was wrong. Sounds like most of you doubt this too :!: The author does mention The Hothouse, but she appears to have assumed Diana had auditioned twice, with the first audition being before they decided on Shepherd. I don't know how many times Diana was called back, but what I've always thought was that she was spotted in The Hothouse after Shepherd had been fired. Most of what the author has written is ok actually, but there's little inconsistencies which are annoying. I think maybe someone with more knowledge should write an official biography. Anyone :?:
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Yes, as I said in the first post this book is unofficial and there are a lot of quotes from newspapers and magazines spanning her entire career. Most of what the author has written is correct I think, but every now and again I start shaking my head. I'd never heard of her auditioning before Elizabeth Shepherd was given the role, and I was sure this was wrong. Sounds like most of you doubt this too :!: The author does mention The Hothouse, but she appears to have assumed Diana had auditioned twice, with the first audition being before they decided on Shepherd. I don't know how many times Diana was called back, but what I've always thought was that she was spotted in The Hothouse after Shepherd had been fired. Most of what the author has written is ok actually, but there's little inconsistencies which are annoying. I think maybe someone with more knowledge should write an official biography. Anyone :?:

on someone writing with more knowledge ? yes....and hopefully, someone will..But I'm wondering if there's a market for such a book...as some publishers, are getting very select in selecting what gets done and put out..

as for the Shepherd-Rigg series of events, I would agree with most of you, that Elizabeth got her walking papers, and Diana was asked to come in and read for the part...question being, how much of a time lag between Shepherd getting fired, and Diana coming aboard ?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Diana talks a bit about being asked to audition at the start of this. She credits Patrick with having a word... They also talk about The Hothouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFsPJSpk17A
Last watched: "Mandrake"