Avengers directors - from Peter Hammond to you-know-who

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote:It occurs to me that you-know-who might have been Wolf Rilla, who was replaced by Peter Graham Scott on The Murder Market
Good point! I wonder how the former got on with Elizabeth Shepherd?

good question ...i would probably think 'ok'.....always wondered how the show would have turned out..if Shepherd wasn't replaced
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Having see The Corridor People, I think the show would have flopped with Liz. Admittedly, her character in that show is weird but she's a very strange actor.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I saw one episode of The Corridor People, at Portmeirion.

I didn't feel any urge to see more. A shame, as on paper it sounded right up my street, but I found it cold and unengaging.

Same with Undermind.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Having see The Corridor People, I think the show would have flopped with Liz. Admittedly, her character in that show is weird but she's a very strange actor.

strange in a good way ? or bad ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Cold and unengaging - that would describe Liz!

mousemeat, strange in a bad way.
She's supposed to be playing this evil, calculating, manipluative beauty who can twist people around her fingers, but she just comes across as aloof and odd.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: She's supposed to be playing this evil, calculating, manipluative beauty who can twist people around her fingers, but she just comes across as aloof and odd.
Sounds like a perfect role for Honor Blackman but they probably couldn't afford her, or she was busy making movies :)
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I quite like the Corridor People, but it is definitely to odd or experimental to be a proper tv series. Sheppard didn't put me of, but I excepted her as playing the part suitable for the series. That type of persona certainly can't work in The Avengers if you ask me.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:I quite like the Corridor People, but it is definitely to odd or experimental to be a proper tv series. Sheppard didn't put me of, but I excepted her as playing the part suitable for the series. That type of persona certainly can't work in The Avengers if you ask me.

interesting...all these takes on Sheppard...but thing back, the producers of the Avengers, musta saw something in her, to sign her to replace Mrs. Gale..
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes maybe. They were moving to film and a completely different way of making the show, so it was all unknown territory. Who knows, she might've been excellent in a VT "as live" recording environment - less time to mess with the scripts and put the writers' backs up, for a start (or, that would've been a good thing - Ian Hendry did the same and reportedly improved the writers' game no end by making them angry!). Then again Honor Blackman was very at home making film series episodes (e.g. The Saint) as well as features. Some people are more adaptable than others, and in TV it's "not what you know but who you know" and annoying the people you work for is never a great career move. Diana Rigg could do it over the money in her last season as she intended to be off after 8 or 10 more episodes so didn't care what they did to her at that point!