No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:The studies at the time concluded there was no proof it deterred crime (see the articles). The miscarriages of justice, that they'd been covering up (especially Christie's murders and necrophiliacism - immortalised in many films and TV series since - being blamed on a man with mental incapacities who got killed, after his wife was raped and killed his daughter murdered, the ultimate insult) turned us against it.
I've seen this become a raging argument in many states, and communities ..and every once in an while, there's either a real life event-or-program episode that brings it to light..once the decision is made to give out the shot, or throw the switch , it's final..and no turning back, and one hopes it was the right decision ..w/o additional evidence turning up..If memory serves me right, TN gives the doomed prisoner, three choices, Lethal injection, the chair, or firing squad..and there is no shortage of volunteers, to fill the role of hangman, etc
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I was reading up about Albert Pierrepoint, Britain's public executioner who executed John Christie (of 10 Rillington Place infamy), along with around 200 other people, very interesting man. I think there's a Patrick McGoohan film sort-of based on him, though maybe I'm mixing it up with something else, where the hangman goes on a drunken night out and loses the rope and has to search for it!
Last watched: "Mandrake"