No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 16

MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

True

Many thanks for the kind words regarding Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.
highflyingbird
White Dwarf

Post by highflyingbird »

I've always found it very curious that when Tara slides down the ladder from the dead photographer's window and then gives Steed a little wave from the ground, she has a completely different hair style at the bottom from the one she departed with! Curls at the top, combed flat at the bottom! Always wonder how no one picked up on that at the time.
J.Steed
White Dwarf

Post by J.Steed »

highflyingbird wrote:I've always found it very curious that when Tara slides down the ladder from the dead photographer's window and then gives Steed a little wave from the ground, she has a completely different hair style at the bottom from the one she departed with! Curls at the top, combed flat at the bottom! Always wonder how no one picked up on that at the time.

I noticed that too - but there's more to it than that...!

During some of the scenes in the outer secretarial office, Tara is wearing a pink outfit with orange trim. Her hair is slicked to the side, with a side parting.

She is summoned to the boss's office. As she enters, she has the curly hairdo. She returns to the outer office... and her hair is slicked to the side again.

Later on the same day, she is in Steed's flat, wearing the same pink-orange outfit... with the curly hairdo again!

I wonder if the filming was disrupted, or perhaps they were filming several episodes side by side? Whatever the reason, the continuity controller has goofed.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Production on SSSS started around early May and didn't finish until early July - so Linda's hair was growing out. Bits of All Done With Mirrors, You'll Catch Your Death and Game were also being filmed around the same months.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brigadier Q wrote:Quintessential Avengers stuff herein!
Totally agree. A good story, some surprises, well developed characters. Nothing not to like in this one.

10/10

Amused to see Clifford Earl meeting his end in the opening scene, just as he had previously in "Escape in Time". Slightly poignant this time. Before taking up acting he did actually work in a secret government establishment which he believed contributed to the health problems he and his fellow workers subsequently suffered.

Clifford's face was familiar to viewers in the Southern Television region as he was a long term in-vision announcer, I wonder if he ever introduced his own episodes?
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

A personal favourite, although I get that it is not rated among the best of Tara King.

It's very late sixties ITC in atmosphere. I wonder whether the makers were thinking of Antonini's Blow-Up, it reminds me anyway.

A bit boring here and there and too goofy (Steed's giant fountain-pen, WHY!??!?!). But typical Avengers, repetition of events, slowly divulging the plot which is definitely one of the better of these "internal affairs" episodes. Eccentric characters and settings. Has it's charming moments and smart directing.

This is one of the most Peel-era like Tara King episodes.

Although not worthy of five star rating, it's very enjoyable, due to good directing and a well delivered uncluttered plot. It makes it memorable yet fun with repeated viewing.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I think I got this with the episode Game on one of the very early Kult TV VHS tape releases. It's at my mum's house. She's a big Avengers afficionado but I'm not sure she watched the videos!
Last watched: "Mandrake"