Gale era in HD (and colour)

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:I'm not a fan of colourizing original b/w footage, but I have to admit this clip doesn't look bad. Colourizing the Cathy Gale episodes might have it's uses as some people refuse point blank to watch anything black and white. This might attract new viewers.
I would agree....in fact, my wife isn't too keen on b/w episodes, and some films..I showed her that snippet of color..and she prefer it, hands down
over the original b/w rendering...

so in an sense, it could be the calling card to 'new' viewers...
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

I'm not usually a fan of colourisation but this has been done with so much love and gives the videotape era a new lease of life.

I would welcome a Network blu-ray disc with three or four episodes in a best of season 2 & 3 colourised episodes but also with the option to watch in the original B&W too.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Big Bear wrote:I'm not usually a fan of colourisation but this has been done with so much love and gives the videotape era a new lease of life.

I would welcome a Network blu-ray disc with three or four episodes in a best of season 2 & 3 colourised episodes but also with the option to watch in the original B&W too.

with that notion at hand, does anyone know if Studio Canal, etc is planning to do several episodes as a tease, or considering a coloring of the Gale Era ?

or was that one episode ...?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Pretty sure it's an unofficial fan thing, not a Studio Canal project.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Pretty sure it's an unofficial fan thing, not a Studio Canal project.
wow, then it's done well...and I'm sure the 'fan' thing, doesn't have the resources of SC....I'm wondering out loud, if they would even consider doing a small batch of episodes, or if the costs were reasonable, do the entire Gale era, or at least the majority of 'em....in any event, I did like what I saw...and I'm a die hard b/w fan....
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Thinking about the pros and cons even more, and it certainly does open up those early episodes , to a potential whole new group, or generation of fans, and can you imagine some of the Peel episodes done as well...like Death at Bargain prices ? the Master minds, the 13th hole, the hour that never was ,
etc ? again, it'll all boil down to if Studio Canal thinks there is a advantage to adding color..and whether or not it's cost effective..and within a budget the studio bean counters would be comfortable with...

My last thought on this....I still get a kick out of the facial expression that Gale made to Steed, concerning her bathroom window...and the snarky look Steed gives her..grinning...the sexual cat and mouse games between those two was there..maybe not as upfront in the Peel / King eras, but it was there..with a touch of skullduggery...as she slowly began to warm up to him..as the series went on...
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Amazing colorization, but that minute or so of footage took over 30 hours apparently. A complete episode would be one massive task.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Once A.I. can do colourization cost will go down sharply and colourization could become the norm and b/w unavailable, this is my fear.