John & Emma.

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

John & Emma.

Post by mousemeat »

I was thinking about a quote that Patrick made on Diana..' Diana's great, a real comedienne in the Kay Kendall class, with a lovely sense of humor.'

He went on to say, that both of them, had no real problems in ad-libbing, because they both felt how John and Emma, would react to certain circumstances...They were both hard wired into their characters..

probably one of the main reasons, why the series ,especially the Emma era, was so beloved...especially in the U.S.
JohnnyO
White Dwarf

Emma and John

Post by JohnnyO »

Well said!

... and the source of many, many fan fics about the relationship between John and Emma, especially the internal feelings one or the other suffers when things don't go right.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Emma and John

Post by mousemeat »

JohnnyO wrote:Well said!

... and the source of many, many fan fics about the relationship between John and Emma, especially the internal feelings one or the other suffers when things don't go right.
their relationship...went much deeper than sex...that is, if they even went down that road...it was a relationship on many levels..
JohnnyO
White Dwarf

Post by JohnnyO »

Yes, many of the fan fics out there cover Emma and John's very private and intimate moments. But there are those like the two (Rough Magic, and The Quick and The Dead) written by M. P. Warren, linked in by David K. Smith's wonderful TAF site, that do not dive into sex, and deal with those inner conflicts that I mention. Her works are actually quite, quite good. David's screen play, All In Good Time, is also a great read.
J.Mac3
Little Wonder

Post by J.Mac3 »

JohnnyO wrote:Yes, many of the fan fics out there cover Emma and John's very private and intimate moments. But there are those like the two (Rough Magic, and The Quick and The Dead) written by M. P. Warren, linked in by David K. Smith's wonderful TAF site, that do not dive into sex, and deal with those inner conflicts that I mention. Her works are actually quite, quite good. David's screen play, All In Good Time, is also a great read.
I couldn't agree with you more JohnnyO–well said! M.P. Warren's stories are engaging, well-written, and tap into all that was enchanting about the relationship between Steed and Emma. I've briefly dipped into other fan-writer's stories but, as soon as the sex gets explicit, the magic disappears. (Not to knock sex–as they say, even when it's bad it's good.) But subtle suggestion is always more powerful than overt description and Warren captured the affection between them beautifully without having to get into biological details. And yes, I also agree that David K. Smith's screenplay is first rate. Glad you brought up this part of the topic!
JohnnyO
White Dwarf

Post by JohnnyO »

J.Mac3, well, this is turning into a mutual admiration society, LOL. Thank you for your take on my take. I appreciate it.

I was a teen waaay back then when The Avengers was broadcast on WABC television coast-to-coast, as they used to say. In my opinion, there was nothing like Emma and John's relationship, nor any woman like Emma, on American TV back then.

There was Honey West, but her relationship to her co-worker did not approach Emma and John's. There were assorted women villains, in camp form or TV mystery episodes. But the rest of womankind was related to stay at home as mothers and wives and such. Of course there was nothing wrong with that, and I think a lot of us here, now, are due to our Mother's care and concern. What bothered me, even now when I can see it in a different light and age, was the making fun of the view point/ideas of a woman back then.

But, when Emma hit the TV screen, WHOA and WOW!

And as far as Margaret's prose, she certainly does have the knack of picking out that little quirk, that nuance, that touch of class, of gentlemanliness, of feminine wile, and concern, care, deep feeling between Emma and John. David's screenplay, with its stage direction, also hits the mark.

I am not a writer, and tried once to write a short story about Emma and John. Thank goodness it is languishing on some hard disk in a computer in the closet, LOL.

As Brian Clemens once said (and I am probably paraphrasing here) if you can take an Avengers story, and drop in any other names/characters, and it still works, then it is not an Avengers story.

(I think I messed up this paraphrasing, but I hope you all get the idea. If someone can correct me, I would appreciate it. Thanks)