3.14 - The Secrets Broker

Post by darren »

Written by Ludovic Peters

Directed by Jonathan Alwyn

Production completed: 19 October 1963
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

An underrated episode in my opinion. Jack May is great as the slimey Waller and the séance aspect while being a tad predictable works in the episodes favour. Never really got the huge dislike for this episode. Flawed yes, but it is an interesting mix of the second season while foreshadowing the next few years.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's a strange episode this with it's mix of situations. You have the electronics firm on the one side and seance and wine tasting on the other. But it kind of works. There's supposed to have been a chunk edited out of this prior to broadcast but I've never spotted the gap. I do like Jack May, he's wonderfully seedy in this.

It's not exceptional but there's some good stuff going on.

6/10
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

This one continues to perplex me, and I've now seen it more times than even the far better episodes from Season 3 - I think because I want to define what it is. Some great elements are folded in: the wine store, the seances, the adultery, at least two really top-notch Avengerish baddies. But somehow it doesn't manage to marry those elements into something coherent. Maybe it's that we spend too much time hanging out with villains, whose villainy seems to lie more in their callous murders than in what they're actually do to undermine the government. Maybe it's the tiresome lovers - a trope that crops up a lot in the Cathy Gale series - who are so stupid and self-centered that they don't drum up much sympathy. But I keep having this sense that the whole thing should work really well; Cathy and Steed have some great moments together, Steed's forays into the wine shop are loads of fun. It's just...so very odd. I'm sure that I will write up a more complete review for my own blog, once I figure out what goes on with this episode.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

I think the Avengers Dossiers sums it up: One foot in the Avengers past and the other foot in its future. Agreed it never quite gels but there is some much fun going on I find it hard never to be entertained by the episode.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I've just read the previous reviews having first watched the episode and they pretty much sum up my opinion. Some good individual scenes but I wasn't sure at any moment what was happening. Someone mentioned that there had been cuts and it seemed to e this was at the very start, I completely missed the explanation about why Cathy Gale and Steed had any interest in the wine shop.

A straight down the middle average 5 from me, which I now see is the lowest score anyone has given.

~iw
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

4 for me. I'm not sure how credibile the method is, in going to the extremes to conceal it, to steal military secrets. There's a difficult fine line between the clever and the contrived that has to be found in the writing (says me, what I wrote!).
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: 3.14 - The Secrets Broker

Post by darren »

I gave this one a rewatch the other night and I'd probably vote it down from 6 to 5. Although I found it to be pacier this time, there is just way too much music and one of my least favourite cues gets a lot of airtime. Pretty much every scene has music in, used as transitions or whatever but it really started to grate on me.