3.23 - The Outside-In Man

Post by darren »

Written by Philip Chambers

Directed by Jonathan Alwyn

Production completed: 12 February 1964
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

3 from me. A more serious episode this which I might appreciate more if I was ever in the mood for something like that.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Allard
The Ministry

Re: 3.23 - The Outside-In Man

Post by Allard »

Maybe the most typical series three episode. Counter espionage plot with a few quirky and funny moments, Cathy doing the right thing being played by Steed who was ahead of the game all along.

Very enjoyable episode in my opinion. The plot is intriguing enough and Ronald Radd gives a great performance as Steed's spy boss. Some humorous relief with the Charter character but above all the difference between Steed's and Cathy's are quite central, this makes it a worthwhile episode, prime Gale material.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I am looking forward to revisiting this one, I remember enjoying it many years ago, though I can't remember the details. It seemed well-directed, and I think Basil Hoskins was in it (of Last of the Cybernauts...?? fame).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This one is next on my rewatch list. I started with the episodes I haven't previously liked that much and am working towards my favourites.

I haven't seen it in ages and always confuse the ending with Concerto. I remember the plotting was very complicated if you aren't paying attention.

It's got the brilliant Ronald Radd (died too young) - his son is on Twitter.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, I'm glad his son knows how much Ronald is loved. Puts a huge smile on my face whenever he appears in something.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

So I rewatched it last night.

As I said, you really have to concentrate!!! Every scene throws out some new information and there's another twist and someone keeping a secret. I do think a bit of clarity at the end might have helped as we're not sure when Steed and Charter decided on their plan. Philip Chambers script is definitely up there as one of the most densely plotted episodes, it isn't wallpaper TV. It's almost Callan-esque. Chambers would have been about 28 when he wrote this. This and his previous script The Nutshell really dive into the workings of the spy world - there's some interesting political intrigue. A great line from Cathy Gale - Charter asks her if she cares about the horrors that are being committed in another country - she's torn in her answer but says "What I care about is you". That defines hers and differentiates her from Steed's perspective.

"I don't need my teeth sharpening!" - Cathy actually has some great lines, most of them rather cutting directed at the organisation Steed works for.
She also has a comment about the then new M1 as Charter hasn't heard of it - having been out of the country. Plus famously she shows Steed where she hides her gun.

Quilpie is probably the last of Steed's bosses we see before Mother arrives. It's a great opening to the episode with Steed visiting the Butcher, being taken into the fridge and then through a secret door to Quilpie's office. I wonder if Chambers had any knowledge of the Man From UNCLE which started around this time with the UNCLE agents entering their base through a tailors shop - probably just something in the air that inspires these coincidences of ideas. Ronald Radd is one of my favourite guest stars. It's so interesting the sense of distance he and Honor play out when on their last script together they had an almost flirtatious connection (Bullseye).

James Maxwell as Charter is very striking, he has a unique way of delivering his lines. There's Basil Hoskins who I recognise most from the Jeremy Brett Holmes episode Wisteria Lodge (directed by Peter Hammond) - another role where he plays foreigner - he makes a strong impression. Regular stuntman Valentino Musetti turns up again and I hadn't previously clocked Christopher Lee's double/stuntman Eddie Powell before. Virginia Stride is wonderful as Quilpie's secretary Alice - who gets her man at the end. Philip Anthony turns up for the second time this season (Man with Two Shadows) as the unsympathetic Sharp - whose future is certainly doomed.

The direction from Jonathan Alwyn is solid and he hits all the right dramatic beats - he's just not much of a visual director which is why I didn't give a 10/10. The music cue choices felt appropriate mostly (though there's one strange repeated cue in Steed's flat that jarred - but thankfully way less music than Secrets Broker which got monotonous). David Marshall's set design isn't a standout but there are no bad sets.

Yes. An episode that isn't an obvious standout in that it's not a big showy stylised piece but I found it very rewarding for it's plotting, dialogue and characters.

9/10