No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 29

johnnybear
Thingumajig

Post by johnnybear »

I've always found Valerie Van Ost a very sexy lady especially in the sixties and seventies! Although her short hair look in space 1999 didn't do her any justice at all!
JB
johnnybear
Thingumajig

Re: 5.19 - Dead Man's Treasure

Post by johnnybear »

mousemeat wrote:
peabody wrote:Discuss, review and rate Dead Man's Treasure, production completed Wednesday 5th July 1967.

Teleplay by Michael Winder
Directed by Sidney Hayers
always loved this episode..however in the A&E re issue on dvd, it needs to be re mastered badly...as problems with improper storage of source material often rear their ugly heads...other than those beefs...great episode..good music bu Johnson, fun locations, snappy dialogue ...and the original production finished on JULY 5TH...my birthday....what's not to like ? a solid 8 FOR this old avengers fan...
I've got the US editions but the original DVDs and I don't recall any problems with the look of the episode?
JB
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Dead Man's Treasure

Post by QueenOfSin »

I've just watched this and I think it's one of my favourites. It's got everything, good amount of screen time for both leads, nice interaction between them, the sudden tense thrilling deadly serious ending, a solid plot and it's well grounded. No crazy superpower or wants to run the world type here, just a greedy unpleasant man with the oldest motive in the book - money. On top of that, the whole episode has a cheerful feel good vibe which along with that wonderfully catchy score makes the entire thing fun and enjoyable. The treasure hunt itself is fun as is watching the tactics used to try and win and there's no duller moments. I would say this is one of the most uplifting and entertaining episodes there is, oh and that score is a real earworm - it stays in your head for days! :lol:
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Dead Man's Treasure

Post by Frankymole »

There's a discussion, rate and review thread in the Series 5 section - don't forget to vote!
https://dissolute.com.au/avengersfanfor ... php?t=2573

There's also the real life Treasure Hunt event for Avengers fans to have a go themselves (or at least visit locations)... not that I've ever been on it, sadly. Some members here have though.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

QueenOfSin wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:12 pm I've just watched this and I think it's one of my favourites. It's got everything, good amount of screen time for both leads, nice interaction between them, the sudden tense thrilling deadly serious ending, a solid plot and it's well grounded. No crazy superpower or wants to run the world type here, just a greedy unpleasant man with the oldest motive in the book - money. On top of that, the whole episode has a cheerful feel good vibe which along with that wonderfully catchy score makes the entire thing fun and enjoyable. The treasure hunt itself is fun as is watching the tactics used to try and win and there's no duller moments. I would say this is one of the most uplifting and entertaining episodes there is, oh and that score is a real earworm - it stays in your head for days! :lol:
Oh... how lovely to see people still getting a buzz out of this one! It is lovely isn't it? Just a massive amount of colourful fun, some engaging guest characters... and that beautiful English summer of 1967. Plus... a superb music score from Laurie Johnson as you say (wish that could get a CD release!). It's one of the few episodes that my wife and I will just occasionally get off the shelf to watch through for sheer escapist pleasure... even although we know it off by heart.

And, indeed, tomorrow is the start of the 2023 Dead Man's Treasure Hunt in honour of the episode. Wonderful event set up in 1987 by Michael Richardson that takes in so many of the venues seen in the adventure itself. Was just speaking to Chris Bentley, one of the organisers, earlier this morning... and was thinking how great it is that fans of the show are still going along to enjoy all the fun 36 years after it started... and 56 years after it was filmed! :)

Lovely to see this joyous hour of TV still making people happy! :)

All the best

Andrew
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

That's neat, I didn't realise you could vote for episodes like that! I gave it a solid 10 as I really do think it has everything. It is just pure fun from beginning to end and never fails to make me smile watching it. Wonderful episode.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Whatever imperfections one can find an criticisms one can have; DEAD MAN'S TREASURE could only have been on The Avengers. Fifty minutes of charming fun in a fancy-full but not fantastical world. Unlike for instance MURDERSVILLE it does not have a dark note or moment, yet maintains its light hearted style without getting boring or contrived, the thing just works. A good concept well executed.