The Music of the Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for that Darren. Yes, now I've looked at the titles on the cd there's not enough season 4 music. I do love the Dead man's treasure music though. Very toe-tapping! I see there's also a Tara King era cd with music by Howard Blake. Is this one any good? I think I'll wait and hope for a more comprehensive release after all. Rich.
(PS. Yes there is a US release of the single.It was released in 1966 with a different sleeve.)
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The Howard Blake release is excellent. Now that I do listen to a lot.

It isn't all of the music but it is most of it plus it even includes bits that weren't included in the episodes. There's a lot of variety to the scores. They're very listenable.

It includes the full length closing theme to Season 6 which they didn't fully use - the keyboard part before the closing fanfare (season 4 & 5 had that bit but season 6 didn't).
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I’ve found another stock piece:
Invention for Drums by Franz Mijts

https://youtu.be/fM4BOJtJNa0

A very recognisable percussion piece from several Gale episodes.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Thanks for that Darren. Yes, now I've looked at the titles on the cd there's not enough season 4 music. I do love the Dead man's treasure music though. Very toe-tapping! I see there's also a Tara King era cd with music by Howard Blake. Is this one any good? I think I'll wait and hope for a more comprehensive release after all. Rich.
(PS. Yes there is a US release of the single.It was released in 1966 with a different sleeve.)
I actually like the picture sleeve of the U.S. release..better...and speaking of it, I found a copy at the local record LP swap meet....
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Another track identified

Panic C by Don Banks from the Conroy Recorded Music Library
https://youtu.be/HQVEkioZWJU

It appears in Dressed to Kill for shots of the track racing along. It's used when Dr Spender is pushed off the hospital balcony in Second Sight. And I think it appears in The Gilded Cage though I can't recall where presently.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
cyberrich wrote:Thanks for that Darren. Yes, now I've looked at the titles on the cd there's not enough season 4 music. I do love the Dead man's treasure music though. Very toe-tapping! I see there's also a Tara King era cd with music by Howard Blake. Is this one any good? I think I'll wait and hope for a more comprehensive release after all. Rich.
I actually like the picture sleeve of the U.S. release..better...and speaking of it, I found a copy at the local record LP swap meet....
HBR....was a good size label in the late 50's and early 60's...mostly a 'pop' music label...and the label was off shoot of the cartoon studio...
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
HBR....was a good size label in the late 50's and early 60's...mostly a 'pop' music label...and the label was off shoot of the cartoon studio...
AgentCooper
Nutshell

Re: The Music of the Avengers

Post by AgentCooper »

I just saw on Twitter a post (by “Darren Lit Roundels”) that alluded to a comprehensive Season 4 Laurie Johnson soundtrack box set being in the works at Network before the company recently went under (and thus has been aborted)? Any truth to this, does anyone know? I’ll be so sad if it’s true!
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

AgentCooper wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:52 pm I just saw on Twitter a post (by “Darren Lit Roundels”) that alluded to a comprehensive Season 4 Laurie Johnson soundtrack box set being in the works at Network before the company recently went under (and thus has been aborted)? Any truth to this, does anyone know? I’ll be so sad if it’s true!
Sadly... yes... all true. Last thing I worked on with Tim before we lost him. The plan was for a six CDs set of music from the b/w filmed series, a six CD set of music from the colour Mrs Peel episodes and a two CD set of music for the Tara King series (plus some LP releases which I wasn't involved with). It was hoped that soundtrack CD sets for "The New Avengers" and "The Professionals" would then follow... for "The Avengers", I'd been through the materials and had proposed track lists, and it's a great shame it never went the distance...

... and, since I was freelancing for Network on a project that they'd licensed from the copyright holders, I finally found a contact for the owners and returned the material to them with my proposed listings; it's now up to them how they want to proceed with any potential release. Fingers crossed that it will happen - but it's up to them as the owners.

All the best

Andrew
AgentCooper
Nutshell

Post by AgentCooper »

That’s extraordinary, thanks Andrew. I am so so sad to hear that it got so close to becoming a reality after all these years and that it couldn’t quite make it the distance at the very end. I truly hope someone else (La La Land, perhaps?) picks this up and is able to complete it. I wasn’t sure all those masters existed anymore, so it’s heartening to me that at least they’re out there somewhere waiting to be released someday… Fingers crossed.