The Forget-Me-Knot

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Re: The Forget-Me-Knot

Post by waldotyson »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Were I to have the power to change it, I would make her father return from the dead (as it were). The result would have been much the same and there would be a hint that Emma would be on an extended leave/holiday, rather than tender any 'resignation' from the Ministry.
I'll second that. That way my beloved Emma would continue to be a single woman- just the way I love her.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: The Forget-Me-Knot

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

waldotyson wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Were I to have the power to change it, I would make her father return from the dead (as it were). The result would have been much the same and there would be a hint that Emma would be on an extended leave/holiday, rather than tender any 'resignation' from the Ministry.
I'll second that. That way my beloved Emma would continue to be a single woman- just the way I love her.
And we would have been spared the absurdly alliterative Peter 'Picked-A-Peck-Of-Pickled-Peppers' Peel
Sometime during the eleven days between Friday September 22nd 1967, when principle filming on Mission Highly Improbable was completed and Tuesday October 3rd, when Linda Thorson attended Associated British Corperation's Elstree studios for her final screen-test, Brian Clemens and Albert Fennell were informed that their contracts on The Avengers would not be renewed...

Meanwhile Albert Fennell was doing was he liked best, growing roses and Clemens had simply moved next door to work with his friend Dennis Spooner in the Filmaker production office where he wrote two scripts for The Champions. In those first few weeks Philip Levine, who would be credited as story consultant, frequently telephoned Brian to ask his advice regarding a number of scripts that he was writing and develing. Understandably, after a while Brian pointed out that Levene ought to be liasing with Bryce as he was now running the Avengers and Philip took offence and stopped calling. Further to this, Bryce visited the Filmaker office to enquire if Clemens was interested in writing for his old show, to which Brian explained that he could not leave as the producer and return as a writer. Clemens was well aware that there were major problems as undoubtedly being based at Elstree would have brought him into contact with the Avengers crew, who had been working with him only months previously.

Brian decided to take his family on a touring holiday in Wales and leaving Spooner several telephone numbers where he could be reached on certain days, Cleamens departed to the valleys. When the Clemens family reached their first desination there was a message waiting for Brian to call ABC Television, but he decided to make them wait and only called the back when he had another message waiting at his second port of call the following day. ABC were in trouble, they had dismissed John Bryce as with American transmission dates looming he had only managed to complete three episodes which all lacked that certain Avengers magic.

Brian agreed to return, but only on two occasions, one: Albert Fennell would also be reinstated and two: together they would have total control of the show and under the circumstances ABC had no other choice than to agree to Clemens' demands.

Brian and Albert returned to Elstree as co-producers of The Avengers on December 6th....
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

I have nothing against this episode. The Emma Peel departure does seems a bit tacked on, like it could've been appended to any episode. It seems like The Forget Me Knot was mainly a showcase for Steed rather than giving Emma a strong send off or Tara a strong introduction. Perhaps management wanted to remind viewers that ultimately Steed was the centrepiece of the Avengers despite being Emma's complete equal.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Strange Young Man wrote:I have nothing against this episode. The Emma Peel departure does seems a bit tacked on, like it could've been appended to any episode. It seems like The Forget Me Knot was mainly a showcase for Steed rather than giving Emma a strong send off or Tara a strong introduction. Perhaps management wanted to remind viewers that ultimately Steed was the centrepiece of the Avengers despite being Emma's complete equal.

I think Brian Clemens wrote it all in a weekend - but I like that Peter Peel turned up and it was typical of The Avengers and its quirkiness that he looked like Steed.

And, I suppose Steed is the centerpiece of the whole. Even though Emma Peel was for me :D
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

DiVicenzo wrote:
Even though Emma Peel was for me :D
Oh yeah- she is definitely the centerpiece for me! Rowr rowr!!
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

waldotyson wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:
Even though Emma Peel was for me :D
Oh yeah- she is definitely the centerpiece for me! Rowr rowr!!
Down boy! Down! :D
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
BitShifter
Thingumajig

Post by BitShifter »

I find it somewhat amusing how badly poor Peter gets treated in the fiction world.
And I was just thinking about checking up on the death of Emma's father to see if there's any chance that our KGB double-agent Peter could have done the old boy in, in order to have indirect control of the Knight fortune (he could always manipulate Emma with that aphrodisiac gas :) )
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Strange Young Man wrote:I have nothing against this episode. The Emma Peel departure does seems a bit tacked on, like it could've been appended to any episode. It seems like The Forget Me Knot was mainly a showcase for Steed rather than giving Emma a strong send off or Tara a strong introduction. Perhaps management wanted to remind viewers that ultimately Steed was the centrepiece of the Avengers despite being Emma's complete equal.
Yeah, they wanted Emma in the episode but didn't give her much to do. It should have been a better send off for her. And I wish that Tara, Emma and Steed had more interaction with each other. They all seemed to be pretty much on their own.
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

BitShifter wrote:
I find it somewhat amusing how badly poor Peter gets treated in the fiction world.
And I was just thinking about checking up on the death of Emma's father to see if there's any chance that our KGB double-agent Peter could have done the old boy in, in order to have indirect control of the Knight fortune (he could always manipulate Emma with that aphrodisiac gas :) )
Oh, the drama! :wink: That's a great idea. Peter may be mistreated, but you've gotten a lot of mileage out of him. I'm looking forward to how you tie it all up for Forget-Me-Not.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Artanis wrote:
Yeah, they wanted Emma in the episode but didn't give her much to do. It should have been a better send off for her. And I wish that Tara, Emma and Steed had more interaction with each other. They all seemed to be pretty much on their own.
There are long frustrating scenes with Emma smashing bottles with Mortimer (not the most charismatic of agents) when she should be in the middle of the action with Steed and Tara.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY