13%
No votes
13%
No votes

Total votes: 8

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Only is the whacky world of pre-decimal, pre-metric Britain could you have a conversation like this (from my upcoming rewrite of this episode):
Seabrook informs Brian that Waldner and Stanley are back to a 45% holding, and shares have fallen to 29s 2d. Brian declares that if they fall below £1 he won’t be able to hold out any longer and they will take him over.
It is of course much worse in Bullseye:
Young offers her 45 shillings per share. She says the Brigadier offered 45/6 and he suggests they can go to 46 shillings but Cathy says Miss Ellis wouldn’t like

it.
and
She offers him her shares but says they’re worth more than 42 shillings. He counters with 43/3 then they settle at 43/6.

ah, the art of the deal....time flies..different era, back then
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

dissolute wrote:Only is the whacky world of pre-decimal, pre-metric Britain could you have a conversation like this ...
I'm just old enough for none of that to be whacky for me, although it would make no sense at all to the slightly younger Mrs W.

As for being "pre-metric", Britain has been in the process of metric conversion for all of my life. Meters and litres are common but road distances are still measured in miles and beer is served in pints. Fuel consumption is stated in "Miles per gallon" although the fuel itself is sold in litres. As for temperatures, older people still regularly use Fahrenheit during the summer but switch to centigrade in the winter. Whacky!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
dissolute wrote:Only is the whacky world of pre-decimal, pre-metric Britain could you have a conversation like this ...
I'm just old enough for none of that to be whacky for me, although it would make no sense at all to the slightly younger Mrs W.

As for being "pre-metric", Britain has been in the process of metric conversion for all of my life. Meters and litres are common but road distances are still measured in miles and beer is served in pints. Fuel consumption is stated in "Miles per gallon" although the fuel itself is sold in litres. As for temperatures, older people still regularly use Fahrenheit during the summer but switch to centigrade in the winter. Whacky!
exactly...sorta the same scenario in the States....it is both maddening and wacky. and I was thinking about Franky's comment about honor/cathy..yeah, it does come off as a solo outing ....and proved that the character had some depth ..and of honor, with her acting chops...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Ian Wegg wrote:As for temperatures, older people still regularly use Fahrenheit during the summer but switch to centigrade in the winter. Whacky!
Wind speed on the television/newspaper/website weather forecast is in miles per hour but on the government ones it is in knots...
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: 2.25 - Six Hands Across a Table

Post by Frankymole »

he brothers cover this one. I always thought the title sounded more like a séance...

Last watched: "Mandrake"