Emma Peel's Lotus

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Emma Peel's Lotus

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, when cars from iconic series like UFO can end up in barns and need major restoration, it's good to know even a modern car (at the time) now gets as much attention and care as the older ones Steed drove which were given special care due to their vintage status.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

exactly...and yeah, the same has happened on occasion...here in the good old USA...classic cars and/or/props ended up in someone's barn, etc...waiting to be rescue and restored...
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

BTW, I was never a big fan of Emma's Lotus....they are great cars, but I don't fancy them much...always thought Mrs. Peel was more of a MG midget or Triumph fan...
widescream
Thingumajig

Post by widescream »

I disagree. Emma Peel was a modern dynamic character and for me that meant her car should have technical progress for the times.

For example the Elan had a twin cam engine, fully independent suspension and four wheel disc brakes. These are features any self respecting sports car of the period should have or would soon have for the era.

The MGs in particular were a small truck masquerading as a sports car.

The Elan was for me perfectly suited to Emma. It's Steed's vintage Bentley that I've always had a problem with..i think he should have been driving a Bristol, a more modern Bentley, perhaps like the one Jason King drove, or even a Maserati. In fact I'm sure that I read an interview where McNee mentioned the Bristol and Maserati as cars that perhaps Steed should have been driving.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

widescreen, good points about the Elan, but I would beg to differ...as someone who's very familiar with MG's, worked on em, and owned several,
the MG's were more than you have have suggested. The MGA, was a beast, with it's twin cam...and the MGB's, of Peel's era, could go toe to toe
with the Elan...and I still own a 1965 MG Midget, with it's 1275 cc engine, was a huge upgrade from the midget's original two engines, the 948, which
was a slug...and the later 1098 cc, was a step up..but the 1275..was sweet....if there was a leak link, it was the 4 speed ..which had sloppy ratios, and
first gear was unsych.....and you must agree the MG's had classic lines...but I see your point, the Elan was very nice...but if Peel was here, she would probably go with the MG...but that's probably in an alternative universe...lol

great post..and thanks for your insight
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

My second-ever car was an MGB Roadster, it was a 1969 model and I drove it for several years. The Elan was more expensive and much rarer, but one parked next to me once in the office carpark and I remember thinking I wouldn't swap.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

great to hear...and the Lotus is a great ride, good performance, with sleek lines....Emma did well...as for Steed and that Bentley..sheesh..lol