Gordon Jackson

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Gordon Jackson

Post by mousemeat »

on this day in 1990, Gordon Jackson died at 66...His one lone Avengers appearance was in Castle De'ath....(1966)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Gordon Jackson

Post by Frankymole »

He was excellent in that, very memorable and charming.

Of course, he acted with Gareth Hunt in 11 episodes of the final season of his (Gordon Jackson's) most famous show, Upstairs Downstairs. Both lovely people, so I bet they got on like a house on fire.

He also had a long association with Avengers Mark One productions, and Clemens/Fennell/Johnson in The Professionals, a show I found took itself a bit too seriously but which remains hugely popular.

He was also in the first Quatermass Xperiment movie, which a The Avengers episode was partly based on.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

thanks for the info, Franky...yeah, he was very good in upstairs, downstairs..and I had forgotten he was in the first Quatermass film.

he had a interesting career..hard to believe he's been gone over 30 yrs
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

One of his early roles is the 1945 film Pink String and Sealing Wax, which is centred around the family of a pharmacist in Brighton. It gets fairly frequent showings on Talking Pictures TV. Gordon plays the eldest son and manages a very good South of England, middle-class accent. Unfortunately, he's not able to keep it up past the first few scenes and gradually turns more and more Scottish as the film goes on! Which is probably why he almost always played Scotsmen.

Always a bankable actor though. 66 is a young age to die but he achieved a lot in his career.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

good point...and I've seen that film on TCM...here in the states..he did have a decent slate of film roles...and I've always enjoyed him in
the castle de'ath episode..playing the 'uptight' owner of the castle..
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Watched a 1953 film the other day called Death Goes To School in which Gordon Jackson played a Scots police detective. It's about the murder of an unpopular teacher at an all-girls school. Overall, it was relatively enjoyable, but did get a bit repetitive as the staff were interviewed one by one.
Paul