Diana & Patrick at the Emmys 1967

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Re: Diana & Patrick at the Emmys 1967

Post by moorlock2003 »

DiVicenzo wrote:I think this was the 2nd year Diana was robbed of her Emmy by Barbara (Wooden) Bain.

This in found by 'cariheart' at avengers suburbia:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FFV5LK_xyd0

and these found by moi via a Google alert - Diana and Patrick are not in these videos.

http://tinyurl.com/6lu2vt

As Marlene at MoR pointed out:

"IN 1969, a columnist in Look magazine wrote: "there was Barbara Bain
copping her third straight dramatic farce trophy. She who isn't fit to
wear a pair of Diana Rigg's discarded leotards."

I couldn't agree more!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

moorlock2003 wrote:Barbara Bain was an emotionless robot on 'Mission: Impossible'. I'm sure it was just a case of Americans wanting to give awards to Americans.
That might be true and, in a way, understandable at the time. Why give away an award to an actess from a foreign import that the US merely bought in? And it was like suggesting the US was inferior to a 'competitor' by a US awards show. I'm surprised Diana was even nominated to be honest.
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
widescream
Thingumajig

Post by widescream »

Whilst I don't agree Bain was hopeless in Mission Impossible, she defintely shouldn't have won against Diana.

But yes, I totally agree it was the parochial Americans who just wanted to award one of their own. Which is why I woke up to myself and stopped watching the Oscars etc years ago.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Artanis wrote:Thanks for the links, Barry! :)
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, thanks, I've been looking for a video of one of Diana's Emmy nominations for some time. Too bad she didn't win--I'd have loved to see her speech. I'm actually surprised Patrick and Diana flew all the way out to attend the awards.
Yeah, it's too bad Diana didn't win. Also, was Patrick nominated for an award too?
As far as I recall, he wasn't. I think Diana was the only one to ever be nominated for a "major" award for the series. Patrick and Honor did win the Variety Club award in 1963, and there was some award the show received in Spain. Patrick flew out to collect it, and then imbued a bit too much on the plane on the way back and left the award onboard. They never did find it.
Thanks, Timeless. I never heard that story before. :)
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Artanis wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Artanis wrote:Thanks for the links, Barry! :)
Yeah, it's too bad Diana didn't win. Also, was Patrick nominated for an award too?
As far as I recall, he wasn't. I think Diana was the only one to ever be nominated for a "major" award for the series. Patrick and Honor did win the Variety Club award in 1963, and there was some award the show received in Spain. Patrick flew out to collect it, and then imbued a bit too much on the plane on the way back and left the award onboard. They never did find it.
Thanks, Timeless. I never heard that story before. :)
My Avengers calendar reminded me of it recently. Poor Patrick. Good luck explaining that one. "I was in character!" :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

fate is unkind at times

Post by mousemeat »

widescream wrote:Barbara Bain certainly isn't the actress Dina Rigg is. But to be fair, Bain was very effective in Mission Impossible IMHO. I actually thought she did those characters when going undercover quite well.

After the triumph of UFO, Space 1999 was for the most part a heap of shit, and it made everyone and everything associated with it look bad including Bain and Landau.
in an perfect world, Rigg would have won, perhaps several emmys,before leaving the show, and the show would have been a top ten smash during it's U.S. run, but sadly it was struck on lowly ABC, which was the third rated american network..How bad was ABC ? If Jesus had a talk show, the ratings would be way down.....i.e. zero....of course, ABC in the 70's rose to the top, bestest CBS & NBC, with lots of T & A's shows..like charlie's angels.

as for space 1999, yeah, for mostpart, it was lame. it did have a few good moments and shows...but clearly all involved were at the mercy of the production values, and lame-ola scripts..and BAIN did the best she could.
bramford
Thingumajig

Post by bramford »

Barbara Bain personified the cool blonde. She would have been perfect in a Hitchcock film.
I'm a fan of Bain and "Mission Impossible", but in this case Rigg should've gotten the award.
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

widescream wrote:Whilst I don't agree Bain was hopeless in Mission Impossible, she defintely shouldn't have won against Diana.

But yes, I totally agree it was the parochial Americans who just wanted to award one of their own. Which is why I woke up to myself and stopped watching the Oscars etc years ago.
\

I loathe ALL awards shows, except for one; The Razzies, offering awards to the worst of the year. A great parody of award shows.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

What is this? Bag on America week? :)

Seriously, the problem was that The Avengers had virtually no widespread exposure in the US due to the ABC network's place in the cellar, and Mission Impossible's immense ratings.

Nonetheless, Diana was head and shoulders above Barbara Bain in just about every category - appearance, humor, acting ability. And her consecutive wins over Diana were just incomprehensible.

For some reason, US critics at that time duped themselves into believing that Landau and Bain were reincarnations of Lunt and Fontanne. About the only memorable role Landau ever had was in Ed Wood, which was strangely a good movie about a director maing bad movies with horrible or washed up actors.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

VA_Avenger wrote:What is this? Bag on America week? :)

Seriously, the problem was that The Avengers had virtually no widespread exposure in the US due to the ABC network's place in the cellar, and Mission Impossible's immense ratings.

Nonetheless, Diana was head and shoulders above Barbara Bain in just about every category - appearance, humor, acting ability. And her consecutive wins over Diana were just incomprehensible.

For some reason, US critics at that time duped themselves into believing that Landau and Bain were reincarnations of Lunt and Fontanne. About the only memorable role Landau ever had was in Ed Wood, which was strangely a good movie about a director maing bad movies with horrible or washed up actors.
Come to think of it, nobody on "Mission: Impossible" showed a bit of emotion about anything. All of the series' regulars were robots!

"The Avengers" had "no widespread exposure" in the US? It was on network television once a week in prime time, a major thing back then for a British import. ABC previously had "Honey West", another action show with a cool blonde in the Cathy Gale mold (right down to a mole on her cheek) in the lead, but ABC dropped the series after one season in favor of "The Avengers".

As for "Mission: Impossible", it was an OK series but doesn't have a patch on the style and lasting a"Peel" of "The Avengers". Same goes for "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.". When it came to secret agent series, the British always did it best. If that's being bias toward England, so be it. It happens to be the truth.