The Avengers on video - guide?

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: The Avengers on video - guide?

Post by mousemeat »

interesting..if it wasn't Studio Canal, then who ? I was under the impression that copyright to the series, characters, likeness ,etc belongs to them.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Might be a press or photographic agency. There are lots of image libraries with the rights to publicity shoot photos, behind-the-scenes photos and the like not taken or issued by the producers at the time.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

sounds logical that the copyright violations, are from a third tier party..and hence, Alan shutting down.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Yes, I believe it was either the photographer or photo library but I don't have the details.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I recall there was an individual freelance photographer who sent invoices for ridiculously large amounts of money to website owners. I remember it resulted in the loss of a very good website of old "Radio Times" covers.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Ian Wegg wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:45 pm I recall there was an individual freelance photographer who sent invoices for ridiculously large amounts of money to website owners. I remember it resulted in the loss of a very good website of old "Radio Times" covers.

Greed. I hate hearing about stuff like this...it's one thing to charge a 'reasonable' fee...it's another when they attempt to charge a huge amount of money...such is the WWW, these days...
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I'm very dismayed to read what's happened here; the WWW was fun when it started.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Rhonda wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:47 pm I'm very dismayed to read what's happened here; the WWW was fun when it started.
it certainly was...of course, when I first surfed the WWW with my Macintosh SE/30, with a monochrome screen, it was mostly Bulletin Boards of many subjects, etc..as I was hooked with a 2600 modem...soon, I added a video card, which allowed me a external color monitor...but initially, the monochrome worked, as in the early days of surfing the WWW, there wasn't a whole heck of a lot of color...both Netscape, and a tad later, Microsoft explorer, opened the portals of the net...and I bought my first 'color' Macintosh, a Quadra 840 AV..with a 15' screen...whoa, nellie!

and the net was fun..and wasn't so creepy, and greedy....so much out there...and of course, I stumbled upon, the first of many sites, geared towards our beloved series.....
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

My memories from '2000 and something' were using it at the library, free hotmail, then getting it at home with 3Kbits/second. It was great to look up anything on on-line libraries like North American Indian tribes (without needing a book), discovering TV discussion forums or downloading blurry Eurovision song contests which took a ridiculous time! It then grew and I remember a Doctor Who fan site that I was on going into meltdown when 'New Who' started due to the number of simultaneous posts. I was also very grateful to be able to contribute a little to Avengers on The Radio, Avengerland and Blakes 7 transcripts etc. I also still enjoy posting reviews of whole Series, an episode at a time, on discussion forums, without much discussion - which is fine - but a bit cheeky. Currently its the Star Cops audios from Big Finish and I hope the mausoleum club comes back online for the latest ones.

I used to have bostonpete.com radio on in the background. Ah, happy days; it still has its moments but far less time spent - and it's mainly here.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Rhonda wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:19 am My memories from '2000 and something' were using it at the library, free hotmail, then getting it at home with 3Kbits/second. It was great to look up anything on on-line libraries like North American Indian tribes (without needing a book), discovering TV discussion forums or downloading blurry Eurovision song contests which took a ridiculous time! It then grew and I remember a Doctor Who fan site that I was on going into meltdown when 'New Who' started due to the number of simultaneous posts. I was also very grateful to be able to contribute a little to Avengers on The Radio, Avengerland and Blakes 7 transcripts etc. I also still enjoy posting reviews of whole Series, an episode at a time, on discussion forums, without much discussion - which is fine - but a bit cheeky. Currently its the Star Cops audios from Big Finish and I hope the mausoleum club comes back online for the latest ones.

I used to have bostonpete.com radio on in the background. Ah, happy days; it still has its moments but far less time spent - and it's mainly here.

society...and the internet, has sure changed over the past 25 years....I sometimes reflect when I first came across David Smith's site on the series..and in September of 2008, I joined this forum...after I was invited by Kim...good times, indeed