the movie.

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: the movie.

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:39 pm Yes, sticking their faces over it doesn't give it any more chemistry than Thurman and Fiennes had.
couldn't have stated it, any better...also, the script wasn't top notch...and earlier in the evening, I dragged out my old DVD copy..and re watched it.
ugh. nothing has changed...so much potential ..but the film was DOA.....and at least for me, the years haven't soften my negative opinion
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The movie does have one useful function, mousemeat - to remind us all how very good The Avengers TV series, by comparison!

I fear the proposed new movie revival of The Prisoner to be directed by Christopher Nolan, if it ever goes ahead, will be just as disappointing (it was proposed in 2009, with Nolan at the helm, and again in about 2016 with Ridley Scott supposedly looking at doing it).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:14 am The movie does have one useful function, mousemeat - to remind us all how very good The Avengers TV series, by comparison!

I fear the proposed new movie revival of The Prisoner to be directed by Christopher Nolan, if it ever goes ahead, will be just as disappointing (it was proposed in 2009, with Nolan at the helm, and again in about 2016 with Ridley Scott supposedly looking at doing it).

lord, NO....please...not another DOA take on a popular series......if they 'do' go ahead...and do the film...I wonder if Nolan would consider having the prisoner, or at least 'suggest' he is John Drake....my question is who too cast as Number 2, and 6...

on the flip, I actually did like the 6 episode mini series revival of the Prisoner...that ran several years ago...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I've read some of the published novels that "continue" the Prisoner, after his supposed escape from The Village, and have different identities for Number One (and sometimes different Village set-ups, with letters instead of numbers and it being set in the 1980s and that kind of thing). It's better than a straight rehash, because a lot of people who are likely to bother seeing a film of it already know how the story ends from the TV version.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

That video was very awkward and made me uncomfortable. I agree pasting on someone else's head does not help. It makes it worse. I don't want to see Patrick MacNee head on Ralph's shirtless body

As for a Prisoner remake, I could have seen Nolan doing something interesting. The subject is in his wheelhouse. Ridley Scot I'm not sure about
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

mousemeat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:51 am
Frankymole wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:39 pm Yes, sticking their faces over it doesn't give it any more chemistry than Thurman and Fiennes had.
couldn't have stated it, any better...also, the script wasn't top notch...and earlier in the evening, I dragged out my old DVD copy..and re watched it.
ugh. nothing has changed...so much potential ..but the film was DOA.....and at least for me, the years haven't soften my negative opinion
Yeah. it hasn't changed my mind either. At its height the show was always very arch and heightened in tone but also grounded and with enough internal logic to suspend disbelief. The script is padded with too many moments paying homage to the tv series. There is no reason to have the film as an origin issue. The whole Emma clone makes no sense and is not needed. Why make Father a baddie and so obviously a baddie from the get go?

The final kicker is that it doesn't even excel on the level of action. Emma's fight scenes in the film pale to those of the tv series. Which is a real waste considering what a big impact Uma Thurmin would later have with Kill Bill
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

it was a misfire the moment filming began...and even Warners, knew it was a train wreck,hence zero press screenings..