No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: 3.04 - The Golden Fleece

Post by mousemeat »

as usual, you have made some great insights to Steed's action towards Gale, Peel, etc...and yeah, for the most part, Cathy was for too independent and self serving, to allow herself to fall into a relationship with Steed..keep in mind, the Steed of both the Ian & Cathy eras, is a far cry from the gentleman we all grew to love in the Peel Era..by the time Tara King came on the scene, he gotten a tad older, maybe emotionally more tired..as Emma's departure surely affected him..was their a romance ? maybe, maybe not...I always tended to think of his relationship with Emma, as a very close one, in a working scenario..and they respected each other greatly...as they went thru countless adventures together...Could Cathy Gale had a relationship ? maybe, but it would be strictly on HER terms...and her terms only.....as for the comment about ' I'm not Mrs. Peel anymore. you could look at that in several ways..one being, her days of working with Steed, was over...and she moved on...or she either lost her husband to either Death, or they got a divorce...which wouldn't have amazed me one bit, as she grew as a person, working with Steed, durning her husband's disappearance ..and once they ' reunited' things had certainly changed for the both of them..

as for Tara..really too young..the age difference between Steed and her, was big..and probably played a part in the way he viewed her..of course, we can all come up with reasons for/why..but it all boiled down to the writers, and the scripts....then again, we can all agree, that these roles have taken on a life of their own..so to speak...and that's not too shabby...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I tend to think Peter Peel had not died in the 1970s, as she would still be "Mrs Peel" as a widow, but seemed to claim she didn't use that name any more.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Franky, again a valid point...in regards to her use or not of ' Mrs.Peel........it's one of those questions, that can be debated endlessly

shame that Dame Diana isn't still with us...might have been interesting to hear her take...
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Plot wise not an outstanding episode, although the dramatic element of the officer doing the right thing by the wrong means is not bad, but not very Avengerish.

But this episodes makes up for whatever it fall short on for exploring Steed and Cathy's relationship. Not only some great dynamic between them to behold, but great interactions, like a pillow fight.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I thought it was nice to have a military "villain" with a more altruistic motive for once, better than the narcissist nihilists in The Danger Makers who just don't strike me as believable even in the heightened fantasy world of Avengerland. Not all criminals circumvent what they see as unjust laws for "bad" reasons so it was nice to see that reflected in some more complex writing than usual.
Last watched: "Mandrake"