Post by Rhonda »

I gave 7.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
dissolute
The Ministry

Re: 4.15 - Castle De'ath

Post by dissolute »

I'm watching this again and there's more than one stand-in for Diana Rigg. The shorter one, who takes the suitcase to the car and drives off, but the one who returns at night is tall and blonde, which made me wonder if this was really early location work when Liz Shepherd was still Emma Peel.
I'm sure I've never read they filmed location stuff except for The Town of No Return for her though, but it's clear all the location stuff is second unit, none of the actors are there, it's all stand-ins.

(I also note there's an encoding error with my copy of the Studio Canal blurays, where two German subtitles are burnt in to the footage just after Rocky Taylor disarms Steed around the 45:10 mark)
I may have to check the all-in-one stream to see if that's clean so I can splice it in to fix my playback copy.

I was going to try to identify the bagpipe tune but when I found there was a website which had 8,000 of them and they all sound almost the same so I gave up.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

They did location filming for The Murder Market in Liz Shepherd's time but not scenes Emma was in. I wonder if they did more than one episode's location bits then?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

dissolute wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:02 am I'm watching this again and there's more than one stand-in for Diana Rigg. The shorter one, who takes the suitcase to the car and drives off, but the one who returns at night is tall and blonde, which made me wonder if this was really early location work when Liz Shepherd was still Emma Peel.
I'm sure I've never read they filmed location stuff except for The Town of No Return for her though, but it's clear all the location stuff is second unit, none of the actors are there, it's all stand-ins.

(I also note there's an encoding error with my copy of the Studio Canal blurays, where two German subtitles are burnt in to the footage just after Rocky Taylor disarms Steed around the 45:10 mark)
I may have to check the all-in-one stream to see if that's clean so I can splice it in to fix my playback copy.

I was going to try to identify the bagpipe tune but when I found there was a website which had 8,000 of them and they all sound almost the same so I gave up.

This quotation from Frasier comes to mind. :D
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

over the years, I've been watching and enjoying this episode, that scene with the 'blonde' Emma, leaving, always got me..and sorta peeked my interest..on why, did that happen ? was it sloppy editing ? not caring to details ? or could it be a scene, left over from the Elizabeth days ?
MaxRebo120
White Dwarf

Post by MaxRebo120 »

I wish I could give this a 7.5/10; some of the best atmosphere the series has to offer and a pretty fun villain twist. But their whole scheme of creating a fishing crisis is weak. Even a few additional lines of dialogue further clarifying their goal would have made a difference. An explanation that they're mercenaries working on behalf of a giant seafood cooperation, wanting a monopoly on all fish, might have been fun.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I find the plot baffling - why would Angus be encouraging Mrs Peel if he's working with a foreign power to destroy the British fishing industry?
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:38 am I find the plot baffling - why would Angus be encouraging Mrs Peel if he's working with a foreign power to destroy the British fishing industry?

I would concur...as the writers, certainly didn't make the plot, all that clear..perhaps a re write, would have cleared the confusion ..still. it's not a bad episode...in fact, it's one of my favorite B/W ones...with McSTEED!......LOL
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Sorry folks... it is a '3' from me.
Poor body-doubles taking too much of my focus... probably not an issue back on a small b/w set in the 60's.
But the blond Emma at nighttime... seriously!!!!!
Weak and confusing plot/motive.
and why oh why are they all drinking brandy and not a malt whisky in Scotland?!
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

rob2bob wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 pm and why oh why are they all drinking brandy and not a malt whisky in Scotland?!
This.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!