Why Elizabeth Shepard Got Cut As Emma

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Why Elizabeth Shepard Got Cut As Emma

Post by mousemeat »

Borgus Weems wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:24 pm
mousemeat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:17 am Allard, my thoughts exactly....there wasn't enough time passed...going from the Honor / Diana era...and Elizabeth just didn't fit in..

of course, I have to wonder, WHY she was even considered, in the first place ?
I'll bet that the Corridor People gave production folks that she could take the Avengers into new areas!
[/quote

maybe..but I just don't think so...Her presence on film, with Steed, probably sealed her fate...now the writers, are virtually the only people who could take the series, into A ' New Area'...
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Andrew Pixley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:57 pm When I corresponded with Liz a few years ago, I very much got the impression that the set up and production schedule for "The Avengers" simply didn't allow for cast input and didn't allow for collaboration. By comparison, if you take a look at her in Granada's amazing and extraordinary "The Corridor People", you can see why she felt so much more at home with this more experimental and involving piece of television.

All the best

Andrew
Her disappointment in the filming process isn't so far removed from why director Peter Hammond rejected the invitation to direct The Avengers on film. He loved the rehearsal period and the creativeness that came from working with the actors to bring the episodes to life before committing them to videotape - compared to film where everything is set up by the crew and technicians (talented and skilled people) and then the actors turn up and are shoved into it - and do it brilliantly but there isn't the collaboration which some actors/directors love.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm
Andrew Pixley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:57 pm When I corresponded with Liz a few years ago, I very much got the impression that the set up and production schedule for "The Avengers" simply didn't allow for cast input and didn't allow for collaboration. By comparison, if you take a look at her in Granada's amazing and extraordinary "The Corridor People", you can see why she felt so much more at home with this more experimental and involving piece of television.

All the best

Andrew
Her disappointment in the filming process isn't so far removed from why director Peter Hammond rejected the invitation to direct The Avengers on film. He loved the rehearsal period and the creativeness that came from working with the actors to bring the episodes to life before committing them to videotape - compared to film where everything is set up by the crew and technicians (talented and skilled people) and then the actors turn up and are shoved into it - and do it brilliantly but there isn't the collaboration which some actors/directors love.
true...but there is a huge difference between video tape shooting, and 35mm film..and 35mm usually looks better..and is the chosen choice..
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

mousemeat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 amtrue...but there is a huge difference between video tape shooting, and 35mm film..and 35mm usually looks better..and is the chosen choice..
I think for me, it's very much more about what fits the subject matter. For example, I tend to prefer the episodes of "Public Eye" that use OB for exteriors over the ones using 16mm film because I love the clear immediacy that I feel really captures the period... but I adore the use of the grainy 16mm stock on some of the Euston shows like "The Sweeney" and "Minder". I'm also very fond of studio taped drama which accounts for many of my favourite shows... but then you get something like "Virtual Murder" which just looks so staggeringly good with its use of saturated electronic colours and comic-style video effects, I never tend to find that one approach necessarily wins out for me above another.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

darren wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pmHer disappointment in the filming process isn't so far removed from why director Peter Hammond rejected the invitation to direct The Avengers on film. He loved the rehearsal period and the creativeness that came from working with the actors to bring the episodes to life before committing them to videotape - compared to film where everything is set up by the crew and technicians (talented and skilled people) and then the actors turn up and are shoved into it - and do it brilliantly but there isn't the collaboration which some actors/directors love.
Absolutely! And I very much get the sense from what Liz has said over the years that it was this amazing collaborative opportunity with the rehearsals that thrilled her so much - over and above the come-in-stand-there-say-this-line turnaround of single-camera shows.

All the best

Andrew