No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 27

Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Re: A joke with no punchline.

Post by Dan »

NickP wrote:Hmmm. Really I can't find the words. I have given this the lowest mark I have for any episode. The best thing I can say it that it has a good cast, albeit pretty much wasted - especially Peter Jones who for the most part just stands around looking embarrassed.

I can suspend quite a lot of disbelief for TA and can put up with any amount of silliness, but in the end I expect some sort of explanation for what has preceded. Here the denouement was lame in the extreme. A half-believable premise would have lifted my score by a few points.

Disappointing!
It's a goofy one all right but one that I always enjoy watching. Craigleigh Golf Club (what does it have, four members?)is so classically Avengerland. Also, there is some great Steed/Mrs. Peel repartee and it's a lot of fun watching Mrs. Peel prance around as if she were a sprite from A Midsummer Nights Dream. And maybe the funniest thing in the episode is watching Macnee try to swing a golf club!
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I love this episode, but then again, I love almost all the Avenger episodes since I'm a huge fan of the show! There's very few episodes I really don't enjoy and find something delightful in.

This is a fun episode!

I love how when Steed is knocked out, Emma feels it's necessary to paw his entire body in her concern. I'm sure I would do the same.

Also, at the end Steed gets a little bored with the fighting and easily, with hardly any energy expenditure, suffers unconsciousness to fall upon the last fighter. Then he shows that indeed he is a pretty good golfer; hole on head equals hole in one!

The pick-up stick scene is fantastic, and it's funny seeing Steed really try to cheat to win.

Great way to spend nearly an hour.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Blofeld
White Dwarf

Post by Blofeld »

Allard
The Ministry

Re: 4.16 - The Thirteenth Hole

Post by Allard »

A personal favourite. I know its not general regarded as one of the best episodes.
Understandable because it does not have a stand out plot or scenes. But despite the slow start it is Avengers loveliness with many frivolous moments like Steed being the eccentric on the golf course. A simple episode, granted. But with a great flow, just an enjoyable watch every time.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

just rewatched this episode..and it's been a while...for some reason, when I re watch parts of season 4, I never get around to viewing the 13th hole, which is puzzling...as I've always enjoyed it..despite some of the fluff, etc....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Patrick Allen is always great in whatever he is in. UFO, The Saint, Brian Clemens' Thriller (where it was nice to see him not playing a villain, for once), The Black Adder... my generation knows him for advertising Barratt Homes while flying around in a helicopter, and also for Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Two Tribes" and his famous nuclear attack warning public information films!

I wished I'd seen him in Crane.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

I remember that video..it was a staple for a while..on M-TV...Not a bad group, Frankie goes to Hollywood, probably had more success in the UK/Europe,than the USA.....and Patrick, certainly had the acting chops
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Rewatching this one after some 40 years.
It’s an 8 from me.
Loved the humour and the way Steed and Emma really play off one another both on and off the golf course.
I think one can tell how much fun they are having plus a bit of ad lib thrown in with the Pick Sticks game… they really gel from the halfway mark in production onwards IMHO.
Interestingly I think I score higher than the average for this one.
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”