The Avengers by Douglas Enefer

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: The Avengers by Douglas Enefer

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Frankymole wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:49 pm I think there was also a newspaper strip with Steed and Mrs Gale but I've never read that, either. It must be hard to find now except at newspaper archives which are generally not online.
In haste...

Details here if they help:

http://wingedavenger.theavengers.tv/news/newsxtra.html

All the best

Andrew
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

TheMonkFromMUNCLE wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 am Seems I misread the passage, that's exactly the painting the book mentions only its a depiction of the ancestor by a "prominent Victorian painter" rather than painted by him (D'oh). Passage states "...the portrait, executed in oils by one of the most eminent of Victorian painters, of great-grandfather R. K. J. J. de V. Steed, irreverently referred to by his descendants as 'Stallion' Steed." Which is one hell of a name, I'm gonna have to watch the episode in question to see if the name originates there or is an invention on Enefer's part. Always love the suggestions of Steed's sprawling family tree you get now and then.
In The Nutshell, above Steed’s fireplace is a large portrait of Steed in Late Victorian attire. The enemy spy Alex reads the plaque out - R.K.J. de V. Steed, presented by the Bagnell & Wintle Hunt, 1892.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
TheMonkFromMUNCLE
Nutshell

Post by TheMonkFromMUNCLE »

dissolute wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am
TheMonkFromMUNCLE wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 am Seems I misread the passage, that's exactly the painting the book mentions only its a depiction of the ancestor by a "prominent Victorian painter" rather than painted by him (D'oh). Passage states "...the portrait, executed in oils by one of the most eminent of Victorian painters, of great-grandfather R. K. J. J. de V. Steed, irreverently referred to by his descendants as 'Stallion' Steed." Which is one hell of a name, I'm gonna have to watch the episode in question to see if the name originates there or is an invention on Enefer's part. Always love the suggestions of Steed's sprawling family tree you get now and then.
In The Nutshell, above Steed’s fireplace is a large portrait of Steed in Late Victorian attire. The enemy spy Alex reads the plaque out - R.K.J. de V. Steed, presented by the Bagnell & Wintle Hunt, 1892.
Thank you! :D
Tredding On Thin Ice
White Dwarf

Post by Tredding On Thin Ice »

I’m slowly making my way through the series again, trying to read the spin off material at the ‘appropriate’ time based on when it was released.

For all sorts of reasons, I’m very much an ebook sort of person.

I’m only just now at January 1963 in my watching, but I had some spare time last week, so I decided to get a head start on carefully photographing and OCRing this novel.

I had to stop for now because instead of just correcting obvious formatting type errors, I found myself actually reading it and really enjoying it.

I loved Deadline and Dead Duck when I first read them decades ago, but I seem to remember the later books in particular being a bit ‘off’ in terms of capturing the series. I’m glad this one is on the Dead Duck side of the fence!

Since this bad boy was so rare (I think I paid $100US for it at the end of the 1990s), I’ve actually never read it before as I was afraid of damaging it at the time.

It seems like a great little book, and I’m really looking forward to ‘getting to it’ in my marathon.

Ditto the Cathy Gale newspaper strips. I bought a subscription to a newspaper microfiche archive site fairly recently just to grab those strips from the M.E.N., and although they are damned near illegible at times thanks to poor microfiche reproduction, they sure look pretty. And again, they seem to understand the series in a way that others (TV Comic, I’m looking at you!) don’t.

I sure wish there were more contemporary books and comics like this one and the Cathy Gale strips. But I’m sure glad these few do exist.