Never never say die

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Never never say die

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched Never. A great episode, but it may suffer from similarities with Return of Cybernauts and Positive negative man. Not quite as much subtle humour as usual, though Steed's line at the end,"Plastic politicians? Who would spot the difference?" is a classic line, and one that still seems appropriate 40-odd years later! Christopher Lee provides a great guest turn and looks suitably satanic. I also enjoyed the scene with the radio ham, though Emma's indifference at his sudden demise minutes after talking to him could have been handled better. I think the directors of some of the later episodes should have strived for greater depth. What do you all think of this one?
9/10
Last edited by cyberrich on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Re: Never never say die

Post by DiVicenzo »

cyberrich wrote:This week I watched Never. A great episode, but it may suffer from similarities with Return of Cybernauts and Positive negative man. Not quite as much subtle humour as ususal, though Steed's line at the end,"Plastic politicians? Who would spot the difference?" is a classic line, and one that still seems appropriate 40-odd years later! Christopher Lee provides a great guest turn and looks suitably satanic. I also enjoyed the scene with the radio ham, though Emma's indifference at his sudden demise minutes after talking to him could have been handled better. I think the directors of some of the later episodes should have strived for greater depth. What do you all think of this one?
9/10
Yes, I like this episode and as you say it is similar in ways to the other episodes but we have robotic doubles here. Christopher Benjamin (?) who played JJ Hooter is also in it and does a good turn when he keeps knocking down Frank N. Stone's (funnee!) robot. And, I like the end when Emma asks Steed if he finds her duplicate attractive and we have the 'Reject' sign on Steed's double's forehead which is at first hidden by his bowler - all very clever stuff :D
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This is one of those episodes were my memories just register irritation. Laurie Johnson's score is interminable (BAM BOM BAM BOM). Visually it's pretty dire. I've never been a fan of Robert Day's direction. The set design is uniformly drab. Emma wears a coat that looks like soggy cardboard. The repetitiveness of it is supposed to be funny but just becomes tedious.

I was very disappointed by this episode as The Complete Avengers book with the original script based synopsis had made it seem really interesting but the finished production is a real chore. A waste of some great actors (though I've never been a Christopher Lee fan but he's better in The Interrogators).

This episode is responsible for starting my dissatisfaction with season 5.

The only bit I like is the chess game played by stereotypes.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Christopher Lee is always wonderful, and the red-haired nurse - who was a contender to take over when Rigg left - is good fun but overall fairly moderate fair. 5/10
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

I enjoyed "Never Never Say Die" pretty much spite being another variation of the Cybernauts.

The opening is one the best on season 5, Christopher Lee delivers a frightening performance and Patrick's fight with Lee in the hutt was stunning.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Rodney wrote: and the red-haired nurse - who was a contender to take over when Rigg left

Patricia English.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Never never say die

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:This week I watched Never. A great episode, but it may suffer from similarities with Return of Cybernauts and Positive negative man. Not quite as much subtle humour as usual, though Steed's line at the end,"Plastic politicians? Who would spot the difference?" is a classic line, and one that still seems appropriate 40-odd years later! Christopher Lee provides a great guest turn and looks suitably satanic. I also enjoyed the scene with the radio ham, though Emma's indifference at his sudden demise minutes after talking to him could have been handled better. I think the directors of some of the later episodes should have strived for greater depth. What do you all think of this one?
9/10
actually pretty good..holds up well, with repeated viewings