Your Favourite Visuals...?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Your Favourite Visuals...?

Post by darren »

One of the things that has always attracted me to the show is the look. It's so distinctive. Many of the contemporary stuff made at the same time like the ITC series were pretty much interchangeable, they all looked the same and slightly too colourless. The Avengers looked like itself. Whether it was directing style, set design, costume design, locations, lighting, title sequence - it was unmistakably The Avengers.

This is dedicated to the look of the series. Here's a few of my favourite visuals to get the ball rolling:

The set design for My Wildest Dream: Something I love about the series is that it didn't always go for the obvious. If there was an office it wasn't always just a room, they did different things. The Observation room is wonderful, big and white with the words blazoned across the back - all that was needed was a small room with a couch but they didn't go for that.

Emma Peel's costume in The Winged Avenger with the long suede thigh boots. There's a wonderful cowgirl kind of feel to it.

They Keep Killing Steed - I love the handheld camera movements around the conference as each new Steed arrive. It makes it's very surreal. The extras become like part of the scenary and the camera moves around them.

The Town of No Return - The old abandoned airbase. The footage that survives from the Shepherd version of Steed wandering around the airbase is wonderful. It's so atmospheric with the dark, storm sky - beautifully shot original director Peter Graham Scott. I love Steed being playful on the roundabout. There's a real sense of history.

The Forget-Me-Knot - Gilbert Taylor was the lighting cameraman on this episode (amongst others). He did films like Star Wars, Dr. Strangelove, The Omen, A Hard Day's Night etc. There's one particular set that I love, Mother's office - he gives it real atmosphere creating shadows of the stepladders. It gives Mother are wonderful mystique. Shame he didn't do more B/W episodes (only Sense of History) as he made Dr. Strangelove look stunning.

The Hour That Never Was - Another airbase location. There's real pace and flair to the scenes of Steed and Emma wandering around. It all looks so wide and barren, the antennas spinning, the flags. that lovely shot of them finding the body has been removed from the circle on the runway and Steed circles Emma as they ponder.

Graveyards sets - I love it when the series had those artificial graveyards as they never went for realism. They were always like a surreal painting. Mandrake, The Living Dead and From Venus With Love have wonderful pokey, hilly graveyards that are full of atmosphere.

The House That Jack Built - I love how this story seemed totally made for B/W. You have Emma's very simple outfit interacting with the contrasting set design of the house. The images are beautiful and unnerving.

Peter Hammond - My favourite director. I love how the limitation brought out the creative best in him. A very visual director anyway but he would go for a film noir approach with lighting. The surgery scenes in Second Sight, there's just one wall with a clock on it and a glass shelf for the tools but by how he positions the actors, you don't need to have any more. Love the earlier shot of the faces reflected in the mirror table.

Escape In Time - Another handheld camera moment as it moves around the funny happenings on Mackiedockie Court. A wonderful bit of set design and dressing. The randomness of the passing nuns. People walking around with Crocodile and Elephant toys.

Fog - A story so aptly named but it looks stunning. It reminded me of some of the creepy Charley Chan films. And in amongst all this fog you have Tara wearing that wonderful Red coat with black fur trimming.

Those are just a few but there are doubtless loads more.:)
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I love the more haunting or disturbing scenes. The abandoned airbases, the dream sequences in Too Many Christmas Trees and Death's Door, the clifftop and lighthouse sequences in All Done With Mirrors. All the graveyard scenes, be it Mandrake, The Murder Market, or countless others. The marriage/funeral scene in Epic. The badger-baiting chase along the beach in The Town of No Return. However, for the perfect scene - which summed up the 1960s - the model photo shoot in The Murder Market with Steed adding the bowler and umbrella. A wonderful scene, beautifully shot.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

For me in varies

How To Succeed...:I loved the moment where henrietta's eyes "follow" Steed as he enters the room. But I also love the succession of secretaries wielding all those weapons with the capper being a mace.

Epic: That Germanesque wedding/funeral was superb. But what really gets me is the epilogue gag. The set up is perfect and the joke fits the well with the episode.

Game:The eerie lighting when Steed plays Super Secret Agent
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

The interior of The Nut Shell I think is gob smackingly striking, as was that set for The Big Thinker. I'm forever amazed at the sheer quality and detail of the sets in the ABC period.

The deserted air base in Hour That That Never Was probably tops the bill. There is also something deeply alluring about the farm in Silent Dust, a rather under-rated episode which featured some cracking music during the hunt scene at the end, plus a rare glimpse of 'reality' with the anti-fox hunt people in the village!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Too Many Christmas Trees is an all round great episodes in each of these.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

on the mark

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:I love the more haunting or disturbing scenes. The abandoned airbases, the dream sequences in Too Many Christmas Trees and Death's Door, the clifftop and lighthouse sequences in All Done With Mirrors. All the graveyard scenes, be it Mandrake, The Murder Market, or countless others. The marriage/funeral scene in Epic. The badger-baiting chase along the beach in The Town of No Return. However, for the perfect scene - which summed up the 1960s - the model photo shoot in The Murder Market with Steed adding the bowler and umbrella. A wonderful scene, beautifully shot.
Rodney, couldn't have said it, any better...with the above scenes and more.

love the abandoned airbase....and the castle in Castle'le...as well as the
dream stuff in Xmas trees..some really good Tv..which is actually some fine cinema work...this was more than a simple sitcom, or adventure show of the era..
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Rodney wrote:I love the more haunting or disturbing scenes. The abandoned airbases, the dream sequences in Too Many Christmas Trees and Death's Door, the clifftop and lighthouse sequences in All Done With Mirrors. All the graveyard scenes, be it Mandrake, The Murder Market, or countless others. The marriage/funeral scene in Epic. The badger-baiting chase along the beach in The Town of No Return. However, for the perfect scene - which summed up the 1960s - the model photo shoot in The Murder Market with Steed adding the bowler and umbrella. A wonderful scene, beautifully shot.

Me too! Me too! :D
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Most of the episodes get high marks for visuals from me (I speak, of course, of the episodes that feature my beloved Emma). If I had to pick a favorite I suppose I would agree with Darren that the Mackiedockie Court scene is wonderfully Avengerish. And I agree that the cloudy skies that tended to appear in the B&W episodes lent an eerie mystique to the feel of those episodes.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."