The Superlative Seven

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

Well to me it is dull and uninteresting. It may be a different format from the Season 5 norm, but different does not equate to interesting. I guess I just didn't find the cliché characters or fake jungle sets that captivating. Not a bad episode, just not that good. But now I'm repeating myself. To each their own, as they say.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Strange Young Man wrote:If I recall correctly the outfit only changes colour when we see interior shots of Emma in her car. I think it is due to the rear projection technique they use which alters the appearance of the suit rather than Diana accidentally wearing the wrong colour- which would be a pretty big miss-hap to go unnoticed.
Thanks for the explanation, SYM. I always thought they were two different outfits.
Allen
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The quality of that back projection scene in Murdersville is fairly ropey looking. There's a car scene in "You'll Catch Your Death" which has the same look - Tara's yellow coat changes shade as does her make up.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I agree with SYM. I think it's a fairly dull episode with an uninspired island set. It needed Mrs Peel in it much earlier to add a bit of life. By no means one of the worst, but not a classic.
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

It's got Brian Blessed in it!!!! What more do you want!!!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Boswell wrote:It's got Brian Blessed in it!!!! What more do you want!!!

Earplugs?
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched superlative seven. As with Epic I loved this first time round, but it doesn't stand up to too many repeat viewings. I would have preferred a more original plot. Borrowing liberally from Agatha Christie is not very original. The set looks a bit shoddy as well. In one scene someone bumps into the balcony wall, which then wobbles like cardboard.
Would have preferred more of Emma, but I guess Diana deserved a week off at some point. Great guests (Charlotte, Donald, Brian B), just a shame they weren't cast in one of the better episodes. Not bad, just decidedly average.
RATING 6 OUT OF 10. 24TH BEST SEASON 5 EPISODE.
Last edited by cyberrich on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sid
Nutshell

Post by Big Sid »

The first time I saw the Superlative Seven, I really liked it. In fact, I would have rated it as one of my favorite Avengers episodes. But once I saw Dressed to Kill, I couldn't see Superlative Seven as anything but a very pale immitation. I still watch Superlative Seven occasionally, because I like Steed's fancy dress costume and I like Brian Blessed (maybe I'm hard of hearing?). But the other characters aren't nearly as interesting as in Dressed to Kill. IMHO
Big Sid
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Perhaps my biggest gripe is that the episode is neither very original nor very Avengerish and as many have pointed out the set is uninspired. Plus Brian Blessed's shouting can ruin anything.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I thought his appearance in Have I Got News For You was so over the top that it was hilarious. But his role in The Morning After was memorable, for the wrong reasons however.