Has there ever been... an Avengers Con?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

It might be worth people considering which two episodes they would like to see on the big screen: given that the potential 'panelists' would be my father, Don Leaver and Gerry O'Hara, my suggestion would be The Hour that Never Was and The House that Jack Built, voted two of the favourites on this forum. (The all-time favourites appear to be Death at Bargain Prices, THTNW and The Town of No Return).
Wiebke
Nutshell

Post by Wiebke »

kim wrote:
Rodney wrote:My idea is simply a screening of two episodes with feedback from writers and directors and a meal together afterwards for anyone interested. No formal lectures etc just a fun, informative event.
Glad to know I wasn't alone with that thought, though having a tour of some of the filmed sites was in my mind also.
Wow, I see this is really taking shape! Fantastic!

I'd be happy to help with the tour as I've visited the locations several times.
Hm, how sad does that sound? :wink:
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

It doesn't sound sad to me. Avengerland is addictive. I'd love to visit the bridge at Tyke's Water Lake but I understand that it is privately owned.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Rodney wrote:maybe the following day, for fans willing to make a weekend of it?!
Exactly.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Rodney wrote:Dick has got back to me already - a rapid response - to say that he should be able to help in terms of permission/access to the episodes. We will hopefully be meeting up in London very soon.
Wonderful.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Rodney wrote:It might be worth people considering which two episodes they would like to see on the big screen: given that the potential 'panelists' would be my father, Don Leaver and Gerry O'Hara, my suggestion would be The Hour that Never Was and The House that Jack Built, voted two of the favourites on this forum. (The all-time favourites appear to be Death at Bargain Prices, THTNW and The Town of No Return).
We could put it to a vote of course, but I think your idea is perfect. Both are favorite episodes on this forum and to think we may be able to have live commentaries of sorts from the very people who can give the best insight. I'm getting more excited each day!
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hi Rodney :)
Rodney wrote:It doesn't sound sad to me. Avengerland is addictive. I'd love to visit the bridge at Tyke's Water Lake but I understand that it is privately owned.
This is true ... but in previous years we've been able to make arrangements to visit the location with the attendees at the Treasure Hunt. They seemed happy to allow a party (rather than individuals) to have a look around at a pre-agreed time. So, should be possible.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Rodney wrote:It might be worth people considering which two episodes they would like to see on the big screen: given that the potential 'panelists' would be my father, Don Leaver and Gerry O'Hara, my suggestion would be The Hour that Never Was and The House that Jack Built, voted two of the favourites on this forum.
Excellent examples of the show. I'd happily watch those from 35mm.

All the best

Andrew
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

Fantastic news, thanks Rodney.

Great choice of episodes too, think these two represent the series at its very best.

If you need any help planning or artwork for the event please contact me.

The Hour That Never Was on the big screen is something im very excited about :D :D :D
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

All right, I've been chatting with a couple of people and watching this topic very carefuly over the past week or so and am thinking we can make this Avenger's Con a reality.

Sort of.

What I have planned is not a true convention. Such a project requires very detailed planning, tons and tons of money, and a great number of people who would be willing and able to attend as well as part with some hard earned cash. I certainly do not have the means or capabilities to do such an event. If someone else does, super!

For me, the more realistic approach is to do an Avengers Fan Forum get together. This would strictly be for members of this forum and their family or friends.

It would be a three day event in London. The first day would of course be arrival day. Everyone who needs to would settle in to their respective hotels and we would meet for dinner and chat.

The next day would consist of touring some of the filmed sites during the day and a free for all evening so that those who wish to, can visit some of the other sites of London on their own.

The last day would be the big event. Guest speakers, watching a couple of episodes with commentaries from some of those directly involved with the show, a viewing of Avenger's memoribillia, and ending with a dinner/cocktail party.

There are tons and tons of details to be worked out over the next year or so and as of right now, nothing is written in stone. Much of this is going to depend on how many can actually attend. With the world's economy in such horrible shape, what may be realistic now, may not be realistic a year from now, so I can't promise anything, but will keep chisiling away at the details and see what we can do.

If you are interested in attending such an event, you can send me a private message or e-mail. This will give me an idea of just how much real interest there is in this event and I can then go from there.

Hope to see you all in London next year!
Kim