Superlative Seven - Just What WAS Steed?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Superlative Seven - Just What WAS Steed?

Post by Borgus Weems »

He never really tells the est of the group what his specialty was... was he picked for his secret agents skills, or was he supposed to be the "best of the best"? And - if they picked him because he was an agent, then he obviously is a well known spy/secret agent. Any ideas?
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Another Gale-era remake, I don't think that Clemens was interested in justifying Steed's presence. Indeed, his mysterious inclusion is meant to make the others suspicious of him, which is precisely what happens.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I think it was clear Steed was sent for his spy skills. Steed's inclusion is what makes the test valid. A professional who's career involves lethal combat of some sort form time to time

Note that his costume is of a government military figure. Everyone's costume is related to their character
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

'Government military figure'? His outfit looks like something from the Napoleonic era and I'm not sure that it tells us much about his character. I think it would have been better if Steed had come in his Edwardian suit, bowler and umbrella. That, after all, is his government spy outfit.
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Maybe steed was meant to be a ladykiller? 8)
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Courier13
Thingumajig

Post by Courier13 »

Rodney wrote:'Government military figure'? His outfit looks like something from the Napoleonic era and I'm not sure that it tells us much about his character.
Napoleon was known for his strategic skills.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Courier13 wrote:
Rodney wrote:'Government military figure'? His outfit looks like something from the Napoleonic era and I'm not sure that it tells us much about his character.
Napoleon was known for his strategic skills.
It's a British Army uniform, not French Imperial! I've always thought him to be one of Wellington's officers.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.