The Avengers on Blu-ray in France

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

JohnSteedFr wrote:We don't have news in France for the moment.
We are disappointed by this.
We all hope that the series will be available on blu ray in few months !!!!
Keep us posted if you hear anything, please.

Merci pour votre assistance! A plus tard!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

It such a privilege to be here. I'll give you news of the Avengers (french ones) everytime I see one ! :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Alan wrote:To be honest, there's no reason why there wouldn't be a DVD release at the same time as the Blu-ray release, using down-converted versions of the HD remasters. Even these would see a huge improvement over the current versions.

I fully expect that these will not be Blu-ray exclusives, although the DVD releases may be delayed by a few months to maximise the Blu-ray sales. (This is my speculation, by the way, not insider information!)
I won't buy a new player and then new discs because The Avengers will be released on Blu-ray. There are differences between the qualities of VHS and DVD but not so many when one compares DVD and Blu-ray.
I'd prefer a new DVD release of the Peel seasons with season 4 UNCUT episodes.
Last edited by denis on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I certainly wouldn't buy a player for just one series. I've bought one for two reasons - (1) I'm a home cinema uber-geek and (2) I'm a film fan as well as a television fan. And believe me, there is quite a significant leap in quality between DVD and Blu-ray. At times, it's astonishing.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Klaus
Nutshell

Post by Klaus »

As far as I'm concerned a Blu-ray release of The Avengers would make me buy a new player. Right now profile 2 players are coming out and so are some films that may be interesting for my tastes.
Previously it has mainly been action films and so-called Sci-Fi movies, none of which I'd ever watch - let alone buy on Blu-ray. But Planet of the Apes should be released around Christmas and with rumours of The Avengers too I am waiting the the right player (probably one of the next Panasonic players).
The quality difference between dvd and Blu-ray is noticable, but not quite as great as between vhs and dvd, I think.
Rick Curzon
White Dwarf

Avengers on Blu-Ray and DVD

Post by Rick Curzon »

Hopefully all of the episodes will be remastered from the original negatives, and the early videotaped shows will be Vidfired by BBC resources. Infact, BBC Resources (and the Doctor Who Restoration Team) should definately get their hands on Avengers: They did wonderful things for the ITC shows such as UFO, Space 1999, Strange Report, The Prisoner, The Champions and The Persuaders.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Alan wrote:I certainly wouldn't buy a player for just one series. I've bought one for two reasons - (1) I'm a home cinema uber-geek and (2) I'm a film fan as well as a television fan. And believe me, there is quite a significant leap in quality between DVD and Blu-ray. At times, it's astonishing.
Oh, will you PLEASE stop trying to bankrupt me!

:wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: Avengers on Blu-Ray and DVD

Post by Alan »

Rick Curzon wrote:Hopefully all of the episodes will be remastered from the original negatives, and the early videotaped shows will be Vidfired by BBC resources. Infact, BBC Resources (and the Doctor Who Restoration Team) should definately get their hands on Avengers: They did wonderful things for the ITC shows such as UFO, Space 1999, Strange Report, The Prisoner, The Champions and The Persuaders.
Hi Rick,

Welcome along, old chap! (You know me from Roobarb's and sold me a jolly good Jean Rollin vampire flick!)

The episodes are apparently being remastered from the original negs, as you hope. However, it's highly unlikely that the videotaped episodes will be Vidfired. The episodes are being worked on in France, and BBC Resources are not likely to have any involvement, more's the pity considering their track record. For the record, BBC Resources don't do the Vidfire work - that's handled by a company called SVS in the Manchester area.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Does anyone know of potential release dates in France for these new improved versions? What about the UK? Will the Avengers' spiritual home see the series re-released?
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

In addition to Rodney's question, I am curious about a US blu ray release of the series as well.

Thanks!