Latest episode you've seen..

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I've been watching quite a few New Avengers recently spurred on my the BBC4 repeats.

After seeing Gnaws broadcast on thursday, I watched Medium Rare which is charming and has some great Purdey lines. I then watched Angels of Death (Caroline Munro bizarrely dubbed by another actress), quite a few well known faces, including a young Lindsay Duncan (currently starring as Margaret Thatcher on BBC2). It's a fun episode. Steed's input into the 2nd season is much greater than in season 1.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Darren wrote:I've been watching quite a few New Avengers recently spurred on my the BBC4 repeats.

After seeing Gnaws broadcast on thursday, I watched Medium Rare which is charming and has some great Purdey lines. I then watched Angels of Death (Caroline Munro bizarrely dubbed by another actress), quite a few well known faces, including a young Lindsay Duncan (currently starring as Margaret Thatcher on BBC2). It's a fun episode. Steed's input into the 2nd season is much greater than in season 1.
Duncan has also just been announced as the companion in the next Doctor Who special.

Odd that they dubbed Munro's voice. And the same voice-over artist that seemed to do a lot of work around that time - kids on TV ads mostly!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Darren wrote:I've been watching quite a few New Avengers recently spurred on my the BBC4 repeats.

Duncan has also just been announced as the companion in the next Doctor Who special.

Odd that they dubbed Munro's voice. And the same voice-over artist that seemed to do a lot of work around that time - kids on TV ads mostly!
Lindsay Duncan's in Angels of Death?? As in the ice-cream-eating free spirit doling out words of wisdom to Diane Lane in Under the Tuscan Sun?

*checks*

It is her! How have I missed this all these years? I think she's marvelous. I have a whole list of episodes I need to rewatch now I know some of these people (William Gaunt and Kenneth Cope among them). And she did all her scenes with Gareth, too (I'd forgotten all about poor bemused Jane who gets snogged by Gambit before she really knows what's going on). I really must rewatch this one.

I can't believe I missed her. She's right there in the top photo:

http://theavengers.tv/forever/newave-15.htm
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Don't forget Pamela Stephenson. Later to star in Not The Nine O'Clock News and is now a clinical psychologist in New York (as well as being Mrs Billy Connolly)
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Lindsay Duncan's in Angels of Death??
I can't believe I missed her.
I remembered Caroline and Pamela easily enough but this is news to me, as well.

My excuse is that the last time I saw this episode Lindsay wasn't particularly well known (at least not to me).
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Thanks to Andrew Baker at the Mausoleum Club, I watched "Fog" with its missing scenes reinstated - from a 1972 recording!

More here:
http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... forum#9645
Last watched: "Concerto"
daftyboy
White Dwarf

Post by daftyboy »

Hi Frank!
I thought it was about time I put a few Avengers episodes on (which then prompted me to join this forum).
So I put on The Girl From Auntie which I watched in two halves over two dinner breaks (I tried not to splodge my jumper). It was great to see Bernard Cribbins and Liz Fraser in there although a bit of a cop-put that 'auntie' is quite clearly an old lady right up to the point where she turns into a stuntman in a wig.
Then I watched Tale of the Big Y while I did some ironing. This was mainly to listen to see if the music is any good. It's great, hopefully the CD will arrive today.
And then I had half of Room Without A View (finishing it today hopefully). A change to see Peter Jeffery not playing the bad guy!
Loved it all,
Dafty
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Hi there, glad there's someone who's actually watching the episodes on here - I'm trying to catch the BBC Four New Avengers but it's going into series 2 now so probably won't bother from now on and will revert to Tara.

Oh yes, Peter Jeffrey in "Room" - as "Varnals" or something, with those comedy spectacles. I always thought Varnals sounded like a kind of patent furniture polish, or a medical complaint.
Last watched: "Concerto"
daftyboy
White Dwarf

Post by daftyboy »

'Remove all those stubborn stains with a handy new tube of Varnals.' There was also a record producer in the 70s called Derek Varnals. I believe that's it as far as famous Varnals go.
Dafty (it's Adrian, of course)
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

The Grandeur That Was Rome: I guess I'm having a bad run with the third season. "Death of a Batman,"Second Sight," "The Medicine Men," now this one.

The plot idea was rather interesting - a megalomaniac obsessed with Rome - but the development was very poorly done. Steed was held with a sword at his neck, then a few minutes later, he shows up with the sword – no worse for the wear. He and Cathy then take on the whole room of miscreants with Steed’s captured sword and Cathy’s bare hands. The ending also . . . well . . . it wasn’t. Caesar is killed in a pathetic reenactment of the death scene in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, but the other villains are not dealt with. Did they forget to read the last page – or did they run out of time?

“Hail, Caesar! Hail Caesar! Hail Caesar!,” and “One Empire!, One People!, One Caesar!” Very Hitler-esque. I’ve noticed that these semi-obscure Nazi references occur rather frequently. I guess it’s expected, considering that the 60s were not far removed from that era.

Bad things: Honor’s hat. Clumsy camera operators. Ill-prepared supporting actors. Drum solos during the fights. Over used. Boring

Good things: Cathy to Steed in a toga: “Mind your dress! Cathy’s leathers.

This one only receives one bowler.

And, Lord, deliver me from Dankworth's trumpet. Please! I'm begging you.

By the way, what were the Latin phrases that Cathy and Steed exchanged at the end?
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>