An Aussie's Avengers Audiovisual Assimilation Action

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

"The Frighteners" is top-notch Avengers. Great to see Keel and Steed together and they make a great team. Fantastic villians in this too, including Phillip Locke, who gives a cracking performance. Love the dialogue; it really is spot-on. So very unfortunate that this is the only episode with Hendry and Macnee in existence.
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Thank you, Darren, Jasper and M!

Incidentally, Stratford Johns and Phillip Locke would appear opposite one another again some 21 years later, in the Doctor Who story Four to Doomsday. There, as here, Johns is practically Locke's boss in both stories...

About 18 months ago, I began collating a list of guest artistes with appearances in both Doctor Who and The Avengers. Before I get too deeply into the reviews, would this be something we'd be interested in seeing added to the reviews?
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

For instance, Hot Snow features Robert James (admittedly, not where we can see him!). Robert appeared twice in Doctor Who. As Lesterson in Patrick Troughton's premiere, Power of the Daleks (1966), he discovered some of the dormant pepperpots and planned on using them as a race of servitors. You can imagine how that went down. Nine years later, he returned as a villainous High Priest against Tom Baker's Doctor, in The Masque of Mandragora.

Meanwhile, Girl on the Trapeze stars Edwin Richfield. Edwin also has two Doctor Who appearances to his name: one on each side. Captain Hart in The Sea Devils (1972) assisted Jon Pertwee's Doctor against the titular amphibians. Later, as Mestor, he was Colin Baker's first foe in The Twin Dilemma (1984).

The Frighteners, however, features THREE one time Doctor Who guest stars! Godfrey James played the small part of Tarn in Tom Baker's Underworld (1977). Later, in Peter Davison's first recorded story, the reptilian Monarch (Stratford Johns) planned to poison the Earth, using replicas including Bigon (Philip Locke). That was Four to Doomsday (1982), something of a curate's egg in fan circles.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Not Doctor Who, But Murray Melvin who plays Charlie was cast as the Villainous Bilis Manger in Torchwood.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Brendan Jones wrote:Thank you, Darren, Jasper and M!

Incidentally, Stratford Johns and Phillip Locke would appear opposite one another again some 21 years later, in the Doctor Who story Four to Doomsday. There, as here, Johns is practically Locke's boss in both stories...

About 18 months ago, I began collating a list of guest artistes with appearances in both Doctor Who and The Avengers. Before I get too deeply into the reviews, would this be something we'd be interested in seeing added to the reviews?
I already do that on my website http://www.dissolute.com.au/avweb/
- every actor in the cast list (and most of the crew) have icons for other shows they've worked in, including Doctor Who.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

dissolute wrote:I already do that on my website http://www.dissolute.com.au/avweb/
- every actor in the cast list (and most of the crew) have icons for other shows they've worked in, including Doctor Who.
Ah, goodo- that will save me a bit of time!

Love the TV set on the front page.
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

So, for those who've blinked and missed him, Dr Keel is gone now. With the first season of the series cut short 13 episodes by a strike, Ian Hendry found himself offered film roles instead. When production was able to resume, he wasn't, and so Patrick Macnee became the star.

Following this?

Now, given this problem, the production team turned it into an opportunity, and decided to have different partners on rotation, with Steed as the main protagonist. Cathy Gale and Venus Smith were devised, but there was the small matter that three scripts were ready for production featuring two male parts: the spy and the doctor.

The solution? Get a new doctor in to get these episodes out of the way, then on with the girls. Simple...?

2.1 Mission to Montreal (Or, Sleepless en route to Canadia)
Starring Patrick Macnee, with Jon Rollason

A murdered stand-in and an aborted film add up to the trip of a lifetime for Dr Martin King. He is to provide care for highly strung, hypochondriac film star, Carla Berotti, on a boat, bound for Canada. Someone is trying to kill her- and with Steed posing as a ship's steward, the success of the mission relies on the good doctor...

The Good

The teaser scene is a wonderful artifice, based on the audience's expectations. The fact that the 'safe' attack is then repeated, with a rather more deadly outcome, gives us an idea that something very special indeed is coming up. It's then all wrapped up with some very rude treatment of our star of the week, Miss Carla Berotti...

My god, Carla Berotti is as mad as a box of frogs. Patricia English provides a wonderful insight into the mind of a celebrity whose life consists of smiling for the cameras and being treated like a piece of meat. As if that wasn't enough, she's secretly married! The purpose of this is nicely underplayed- would her films sell as well if it was known she was unavailable? Add to this the fact that she is constantly manipulated, and we have rather a disturbing character study, with no easy answers provided by the end of the episode.

Also putting in an enjoyable, if oddly accented, performance is Mark Eden as the First Mate Nicolson. His layered performance, and particular separation of public and private lives, makes his character very watchable.

Steed is very late to the party, to great dramatic effect- especially when we discover he's joined the serving staff! Macnee's interplay with newcomer Rollason is very different to the same with Hendry. One almost gets the impression that Steed and King may have studied together, and I'll be touching on this idea in later reviews as well.

This is probably the best episode for Jon Rollason as Dr King. His first scene with Berotti is played against type, and is much better for it, as he giggles at being slapped around. He does start to lose steam after this, but the romance sub-plot is just about believable. As for his dressing gown- bless his heart.

Finally, the sets really are gorgeous, with the liner setting very believably portrayed. The (presumably back projected) view through the windows are a small detail which helps sell the shots, and could so easily have been ignored.

The Bad

Where things begin to fall down is the direction. The camera bumps its way through several scenes (particularly seeming to have a grudge against the ship's bar), and just generally shoots things in a highly pedestrian manner. The script is very wordy, which certainly doesn't have to be a bad point, but the direction does little to mitigate this, resulting in some very stationary celebrations and deserted decks.

For various reasons, a doctor was still needed in the show. Dr Martin King was always going to be a stop gap. However, does that mean that a slightly more dynamic actor couldn't be found? As he continues through the episode, he shows little emotion to the situations around him, beyond the odd outburst. Rollason's performance is very strange; almost binary, as he swings from calm to impassioned (be that mirth, rage, indignation, etc.). His performance isn't bad- just rather dull.

That's a word that's going to come up a bit over the next few episodes- dull. You see, I do have a lot of praise for this episode. The production team have done well making it- but there's not a lot that's wonderfully distinctive about it. It's just about ship-shape, but it's not going to break any records.

I just realise I've managed to get through the review without even mentioning the microfilm that's being smuggled- well, just goes to show how effective that was as a plot point!

PLOT: 7
DIRECTION: 5
DIALOGUE: 7
MUSIC: 5
REGULARS: 8
GUESTS: 9
SETS: 7
CLIFFHANGERS: 6
AVENGERNESS: 6
TAG: 7

Overall 67%

A very good concept with some entertaining guest performances. Things start out nicely, with Steed in the kitchens and King on the case, but get bogged down by slow exposition and ineffective visuals. What a difference a co-star makes, and not in a good way. In short, whilst not bad, this episode is just dull.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Poo. I think Rollason gives one of the best performances in the series.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I just watched Mission to Montreal today myself. This is only the second time I've viewed it (the first a few years back with the A&E set). I have a soft spot for it right away because of the Canadian connection, though I don't know that Canada's ever mentioned. I can only assume everyone knew where Montreal was circa 1962! (And really, only six days to cross the Atlantic from Britain and go up the St. Lawrence? If that's true, should I book a cruise?). Carla has no French accent, so one can only assume she's from the Anglo half of the city. I have to agree about Patricia English's performance--she's brilliant in it. I think this may be one of the best guest star performances in the series.

This one's fun for the little things, though, namely Steed's undercover job as a steward, spending all his time ordering things and charging them to Dr. King's room, and then hanging around consuming them and making fun of his dressing gown. Those two running jokes are the best bits of the episode. I have half an inkling that Steed stuck the drunk in King's bunk hoping he'd get his throat slit so King would be saved from his fashion crimes. :lol: There's nothing more fun than watching Patrick widen his eyes and ask incredulously, "You actually bought it?"

I like Dr. King. There's a different dynamic between him and Steed than there is with Keel, although both find him annoying. Which he is. But he's annoying in a good way this time round. I'm waiting for the Gales to see if he grates on me as much as last time.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

I really wanted to like him. So little remains of his role in The Web of Fear, yet he really takes that and makes a memorable character.

I suppose it can be said that at least he didn't try to just copy Ian Hendry, which is certainly a good thing. However, someone really should have tried harder to have something there for him. Patrick Macnee does the most work trying to set up King's character, only for Rollason to just float through his performance.