Blu Ray release in the UK

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

SteedMonk wrote:
ikbtops wrote:I totally agree,Crumptonmp. I guess I'm an optimist and hoping for the best...
If, and when season five is released,I think it will look amazing clean and clear and more real than the sketchy looking DVDs. The Prisoner Blu Ray is unbelievably gorgeous and retro. Why can't the Avengers be as well? Am I looking Forward to Season 4? not so much. For the UK it looks like the exact same program content as the DVDs anyhow. If you don't have and HDTV& Blu Ray-you don't know what you're missing and perhaps it's best anyway.
If I would have a Blu-ray player, I would also wait until the Blu-ray edition is released! But the quality of the DVD is not bad. In Germany they released recently the Tara King episodes and they look very good and certainly not sketchy. They were newly remastered and the Optimum release will have the same quality. I don't think that it is worthwhile to buy a Blu-ray player only for the Avengers, because the quality is also in SD extremely
well.
. A lot depends on the size of your television as well. If you have a 25" or less- DVD should do you just fine. I wouldn't recommend buying a HDTV and Blu Ray player for one show. I personally have several including loads of blu Ray movies.I don't know what kind of access folks in Europe have to a big box television showroom,but they're everywhere here in the states. Is there even such thing as high def cable in Europe?
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Philippa wrote:I'm still not sure I even know what Blu-ray is to be honest :lol:
Yep! Blu Ray uses a much more precise laser that allows
more than 5 times the amount of information storage on the disc. This means much higher resolution i.e. your standard definition is at 480p vs 1080p of a High definition television. Images are much sharper and colors are much more vibrant. The next time you see an appliance store - walk in-they should have HD on display.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

With Season 4 it's all about the surreal atmosphere and cracking dialogue. Even if it wasn't expensive, I couldn't justify the price of buying the episodes again. Maybe in colour the difference is more striking but I read recently that most purchasers of blu-ray are blokes; is there a 'male anorak' side to this new(ish) technology?
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Having seen a lengthy section of The Gravediggers in HD, I can safely say that the difference is striking in black and white too!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Folks - and particularly ikbtops - please keep on topic and be civil to eachother.

Thread cut back to remove bickering.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Yes! I plan on buying the entire series when it comes out for region A. It will all be amazing.
Once again... any thoughts on what we might hope to see in terms of extras?

My sincere apologies

:oops:
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

No problem. Thanks for the apology. It's appreciated. 8)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

User 'lwtincolour' on The Mausoleum Club forum says that the monochrome Rigg season Bluray for the UK "was listed by Amazon many weeks ago. All the Blus are listed IIRC up to Thorson in October".
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'll stick with DVD. Most of my retro tastes won't benefit from Blu ray. And even I'm not daft enough to invest in more hardware just for season 4 Avengers ... :)
sounds logical to me...i wonder if the show, would even benefit from
blu-ray release ????
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

mousemeat wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'll stick with DVD. Most of my retro tastes won't benefit from Blu ray. And even I'm not daft enough to invest in more hardware just for season 4 Avengers ... :)
sounds logical to me...i wonder if the show, would even benefit from
blu-ray release ????
Greatly! Especially those of us in the states who only have the crummy A&E DVDs. I can't wait for a U.S. Blu release!!! :)