Who gave the best performance?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Which Avengers lead actor gave the best performance?

Patrick Macnee
52%
Honor Blackman
15%
Diana Rigg
25%
Linda Thorson
3%
Joanna Lumley
No votes
Gareth Hunt
No votes
Ian Hendry
No votes
Julie Stevens
No votes
Jon Rollason
3%
Patrick Newell
2%

Total votes: 60

kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Frankymole wrote:I'm not an actor so I can only comment on whose portrayal I enjoyed most whilst it was on screen, rather than any technical "merit" of acting techniques.

So it has to be Jon Rollason - never put a foot wrong.

Close second is the lovely Linda Thorson.

Patrick Macnee, Honor Blackman and Ian Hendry gain big points for both style and endurance...

Diana who?
:lol:
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote:I'm not an actor so I can only comment on whose portrayal I enjoyed most whilst it was on screen, rather than any technical "merit" of acting techniques.

Patrick Macnee, Honor Blackman and Ian Hendry gain big points for both style and endurance...

Diana who?
Wrong on so many levels ... :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I saw that Jon Rollason had gotten a vote, and immediately thought, "Well, I see Franky's been by." :lol:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Diana who?
Bizarre. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? Rich.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I'm not sure I'll be able to vote in this poll, since it's simply too hard :?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I saw that Jon Rollason had gotten a vote, and immediately thought, "Well, I see Franky's been by." :lol:
:D one day his genius will be more widely appreciated :D

Actually I've been really looking forward all week to giving "Mission to Montreal" a spin, from the new remastered set - haven't seen it there yet; a treat in store!!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I saw that Jon Rollason had gotten a vote, and immediately thought, "Well, I see Franky's been by." :lol:
:D one day his genius will be more widely appreciated :D

Actually I've been really looking forward all week to giving "Mission to Montreal" a spin, from the new remastered set - haven't seen it there yet; a treat in store!!
His profile's going up already--someone else has put a vote in for him! (Is no one going to give any love to the later Avengers? Patrick, Diana, and Honor seem to have a monopoly).

I've watched it already--I've just started to hit the Cathy episodes (is it wrong that I like smiley Death Dispatch Cathy better than the later incarnation?). Mission to Montreal is quite brilliant, I agree. And they get a good bunch of Canadian namechecks into Dead on Course as well--I can only assume this was Sydney Newman putting his oar in. I don't think we got that many references in until they had Linda going about Manitoba redwoods in You'll Catch Your Death.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Is no one going to give any love to the later Avengers? Patrick, Diana, and Honor seem to have a monopoly
I think that's appropriate because those three laid down the blueprint and the legacy (certainly Pat and Honor, but I want to include Diana because of the humour she brought to her role, and even Patrick said he upped his game when Diana came on board).

As good as they were, I don't think Ian Hendry, Julie Stevens or Jon Rollason's influence was felt as much simply because they didn't stick around.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Is no one going to give any love to the later Avengers? Patrick, Diana, and Honor seem to have a monopoly
I think that's appropriate because those three laid down the blueprint and the legacy (certainly Pat and Honor, but I want to include Diana because of the humour she brought to her role, and even Patrick said he upped his game when Diana came on board).

As good as they were, I don't think Ian Hendry, Julie Stevens or Jon Rollason's influence was felt as much simply because they didn't stick around.
This is true, but Linda, Gareth, and Joanna sort of reinvented the format. But it's hard to compete with the pioneers.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: This is true, but Linda, Gareth, and Joanna sort of reinvented the format. But it's hard to compete with the pioneers.
Yes, each gave it a twist; their own spin. I think Joanna had the hardest part in one way, as we'd had Cathy - the ice cool toughie, Emma - flippant but deadly and Tara - keenest, but vulnerable. Purdey was to be some of each and her own woman too.

It would have been easier to just play it as Diana did, but she chose to find her own character.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY