Season 6 : Top ten

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I'm sure that there is someone else out there who shares your fondness for it. Not me, though. I still think that no other season has so many really good and really awful episodes. Such a mixture - both style and quality - which must have made it fascinating to watch at the time.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

For me, Stay Tuned, Take-Over and All Done with Mirrors are up there with the best of Season 4 while Homicide, Pandora and Whoever Shot are as bad as the show ever got. One of the grey areas is the 'genre' ones such as Noon Doomsday and Fog which some love but others don't find Avengerish enough.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I really enjoy the majority of season 6. Sadly with this season we always remember the stinkers because they are so awful. There are only 6 bad ones however. (Thingumajig (stupid), Earthmen (stupid), Have guns (dull), Legacy of death (stupid and DULL), Whoever shot George, (forgettable), and the worst episode of all-Homicide, which is torture). The other 27 are terrific episodes. Some are universally loved such as Mirrors and Stay tuned. A lot of episodes that divide this forum such as Fog and Pandora, I rate as top 10 Tara episodes! I feel the same way about Look stop me. I just wish there were others out there who enjoy it as much as me. I know I'm alone with this one! :( Best ever Tara must be Game. Great villain (Peter Jeffrey), great sets, great script, and great fun. :D Rich.
happychap
Thingumajig

Post by happychap »

cyberrich wrote:I really enjoy the majority of season 6. Sadly with this season we always remember the stinkers because they are so awful. There are only 6 bad ones however. (Thingumajig (stupid), Earthmen (stupid), Have guns (dull), Legacy of death (stupid and DULL), Whoever shot George, (forgettable), and the worst episode of all-Homicide, which is torture). The other 27 are terrific episodes. Some are universally loved such as Mirrors and Stay tuned. A lot of episodes that divide this forum such as Fog and Pandora, I rate as top 10 Tara episodes! I feel the same way about Look stop me. I just wish there were others out there who enjoy it as much as me. I know I'm alone with this one! :( Best ever Tara must be Game. Great villain (Peter Jeffrey), great sets, great script, and great fun. :D Rich.
I'm with Rich on a lot of this, the spirit of it, if not to the letter. However, of the six "stinkers" you did cite, the only one that really annoyed me was "Legacy of Death". "Homicide" doesn't bother me, and I like "Earthman" alot in a perverse sort of way.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I love "Legacy of Death". Some great characters and settings (or unusual views of familiar settings, like outside the back of Tara's flat), good comedy, and an interesting denoument to the well-sustained mystery, AND the movie references are much more subtle than "Epic"'s. The feel is similar to the "Dead Man's Treasure Hunt" and the pace is similarly hectic. Steed's scene with the solicitor is great.

I find Game a bit dull to be honest. Rather like a color-Emma runaround with killing after killing all using the same MO, and Peter JEffrey is not used as well as in his other roles.
Last watched: "Concerto"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

cyberrich wrote:There are only 6 bad ones however. (Thingumajig (stupid), Earthmen (stupid), Have guns (dull), Legacy of death (stupid and DULL), Whoever shot George, (forgettable), and the worst episode of all-Homicide, which is torture).
For me, all six have something to offer. I don't think there's one season 6 episode that I can't find some enjoyment from (and that's not the case with some other seasons).

Thingumajig - Admittedly it was a bit disappointing at first as I really enjoyed the synopsis in the programme guide and so it wasn't quite how I pictured it. But this story does have a strong atmosphere. Some nice direction from Leslie Norman. I love the scenes with Tara in her flat being attacked by the box and the Professor with a cold.

Invasion of the Earthman - It has an atmosphere like no other episode and I love the wintery feel. Tar has some great sequences in the tunnels etc.

Have Guns Will Haggle - It has Tara is that Tartan outfit!:)

Legacy of Death - I love the grotesque characters and the black humour. Stratford Johns and Ronald Lacey are hilarious. Steed's "He stabs her" in response to Street's story always makes me laugh.

Whoever shot poor george.. - Steed gets all the duff stuff but Tara has plenty of action and it becomes more interesting once she becomes Prunella.

Homicide and Old Lace - I enjoy the sequence of Mother and his Aunts, nicely shot by John Hough. The meat of the episode offers enough to make me want to see the original episode - it's the show with a different vision. Some good action sequences.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Darren wrote: Homicide and Old Lace - I enjoy the sequence of Mother and his Aunts, nicely shot by John Hough. The meat of the episode offers enough to make me want to see the original episode - it's the show with a different vision. Some good action sequences.

Me too. It would have been quite a different Avengers with the first TK episode being telemovie length, a new theme or old Hendry/Blackman theme with a Cleo Laine vocal on top. Interesting ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
happychap
Thingumajig

Post by happychap »

Frankymole wrote:I love "Legacy of Death". ...Steed's scene with the solicitor is great.
Ah - I had forgotten that scene. It is pretty great. Best to not write off any episodes from S6!

My top 10 doesnt stay the same for long, and it is hard to pick only 10.
But, "Mirrors" and "Take-Over" will probably always be my joint#1.

1. All Done With Mirrors (Austin)
2. Take-Over (Fuest)
3. Game (Fuest)
4. The Interrogators (Crichton)
5. The Morning After (Hough)
6. Killer (Owen)
7. Get-a-Way (Sharp)
8. Requiem (Chaffey)
9. Pandora (Fuest)
10. Bizarre (Norman)
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Good top 10 Happychap and 4 of yours are in mine. I've always rated Game as the best one followed by Mirrors, Fog and Stay tuned in that order. Faultless in every way. I'm halfway through watching season 6 (for the umpteenth time!) and this week I'm up to Earthmen. I stand by my earlier view of 6 episodes that miss the mark in this season, and this is one of them. Decidedly average in every way and just not The Avengers. The sets aren't bad actually, but the script misses the point of the Avengers in a bad way, and poor Linda was given a horrible makeover by the hair and fashion stylists. This gorgeous young woman was made to look like a cross between Harpo Marx and a Xmas tree fairy. I HATE the bleached blonde hair and the unflattering brown leather outfit. Thank heavens she was allowed to be her natural self after the first 3 episodes. She was stunning in Mirrors. There really were some very inventive scripts in this season. I'm glad that these days season 6 isn't as overlooked as it has been. Richard.
Last edited by cyberrich on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

All Done With Mirrors and Killer are the best two episodes of season 6 for me. I must delay my answer for a correct order of the eight following ones.