Which cast member really belonged in the dustbin?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Which Avengers cast member could we have most easily done without?

Mother
30%
Rhonda
21%
Dr. King
18%
One-ten
18%
Venus Smith
12%

Total votes: 33

Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I have no problem with any of them, but picked Rhonda as I would say she adds the least due to the "no-speak thing".

I think out of all of Steed's original bosses, I liked Charles the best. Interesting that Peel and Rogers included him in "Too Many Targets", but not One-Ten who had made many more appearances.
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

For me, Mother has to go...

Sorry, never liked knowing more about the "organization."

It was more fun when it was mysterious and vague!

:)
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Frankymole wrote:
Rodney wrote:Despite taking away an important layer of mystery - who employs Steed etc. - I thought the actor playing Mother did a splendid job and fitted in to the rather eccentric Tara era.
Didn't Steed always have a boss before season 4 though? Quilpie, One-Ten, One-Twelve etc...

I refuse to vote in this poll as I find consigning someone to the "dustbin" offensive. They were all interesting in their way and all well-played.
I assure you there was no intent to be offensive. I have always felt that some of the characters weren't strong contributors. I also felt that the series would have been more successful without a couple of them. Perhaps I was just to flippant with my question, but I still think it was a valid inquiry.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Rodney wrote:Despite taking away an important layer of mystery - who employs Steed etc. - I thought the actor playing Mother did a splendid job and fitted in to the rather eccentric Tara era. Rhonda, though, doesn't add a great deal to the episodes, does she. Does she?
Interesting question Rodney. Does Rhonda add anything to the episodes. I never gave that any real thought before. As you pointed out, Mother fit into the eccentric episodes and if anything, Rhonda was part of Mother's eccentricity, so in that manner, yes, she does contribute greatly. As for any other part...I personally don't think so, though I liked the character as much as you can like someone who's sole purpose is to wait hand and foot on the BOSS.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

VA_Avenger wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Rodney wrote:Despite taking away an important layer of mystery - who employs Steed etc. - I thought the actor playing Mother did a splendid job and fitted in to the rather eccentric Tara era.
Didn't Steed always have a boss before season 4 though? Quilpie, One-Ten, One-Twelve etc...

I refuse to vote in this poll as I find consigning someone to the "dustbin" offensive. They were all interesting in their way and all well-played.
I assure you there was no intent to be offensive. I have always felt that some of the characters weren't strong contributors. I also felt that the series would have been more successful without a couple of them. Perhaps I was just to flippant with my question, but I still think it was a valid inquiry.
I have to admit, when I first saw the title of this thread, I was immediately ready to delete it, but then I saw the title of your poll and your explanation and understood what you were saying. I'm not crazy about the title of the thread, but your question is really interesting. Like Rodney's question about Rhonda, I never really gave it much thought as to what characters could have been done with out.

Great question VA.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

helenofirvine wrote:For me, Mother has to go...

Sorry, never liked knowing more about the "organization."

It was more fun when it was mysterious and vague!
As Timeless pointed out, Mother was only following the tradition of Avengers bosses like Charles, One-Ten, One-Twelve, Quilpie, etc. It's only the Emma Peel seasons we don't see a boss. And even then Emma Peel says, "There's always Mother ... " indicating he was there all the time, we just never saw him.

We don't learn anymore about the organisation because of him. Indeed because of the bizarre locations, because of Emma Peel's comment (above) there are still more questions than answers.

Who is Mother? Why is he called Mother? How did get his disability - was he born like it, was he injured? Why the different locales? Why doesn't Rhonda speak?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

VA_Avenger wrote: I assure you there was no intent to be offensive. I have always felt that some of the characters weren't strong contributors. I also felt that the series would have been more successful without a couple of them. Perhaps I was just to flippant with my question, but I still think it was a valid inquiry.

It's because you used 'cast member' in the topic title, indicating an actor not the character they played. When I saw the thread I was a bit concerned what you were going to say. :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

"Father" is probably the most pointless "superior" but she's still okay as a one-off.

"Charles" had a nice relationship with Cathy I thought - they seemed like equals, whereas Steed often seemed a bit too cheeky to her :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:As Timeless pointed out, Mother was only following the tradition of Avengers bosses like Charles, One-Ten, One-Twelve, Quilpie, etc. It's only the Emma Peel seasons we don't see a boss. And even then Emma Peel says, "There's always Mother ... " indicating he was there all the time, we just never saw him.

We don't learn anymore about the organisation because of him. Indeed because of the bizarre locations, because of Emma Peel's comment (above) there are still more questions than answers.

Who is Mother? Why is he called Mother? How did get his disability - was he born like it, was he injured? Why the different locales? Why doesn't Rhonda speak?
I thought the official line on Mother was that he was a former agent who had been injured in the line of duty. Part of the reason he's so crabby is that he's in chronic pain--a sort of Gregory House for the espionage world. :wink: I think the ever-changing HQ was necessary because he was a prime target for assassination, so they kept moving him around to stymie attempts (see Stay Tuned). Presumably Rhonda's main purpose isn't to answer the phone for him, but to act as his bodyguard. One of my favourite bits with Rhonda is when she wields a pair of pistols in Requiem--I loved seeing her get a piece of the action. :D It's as though the production team wanted prove she wasn't just for show.

Mother does tell us at least that there's a whole Ministry chain of command somewhere in the background, including Father and Grandma (with whom he speaks on the telephone). I always feel as if he embodies some sort of internal restructuring of Steed's department, too--starting with the Taras, and extending into TNA, we get more stories focussing on the internal workings of the Ministry, more appearances by fellow agents, and, of course, all of Steed's partners are official bona fide agents. It's as though they started cracking down on the "talented amateur" business.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I think Mother was terrific, admirably played by Patrick Newell. He fitted perfectly into the surreal atmosphere of the late 60s episodes. A BIG BIG mistake however to give him an entire episode, which turned out to be the worst hour in Avengers history. Any of the others on this list I could have done without, but I went for Venus Smith as she was far too ordinary a character for The Avengers, as was Julie Stevens who played her. Rich.