Free Gift! Season 1 Script

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Amazing... I've just read it in one sitting and it really breathes life into the plot I knew from the Dave Rogers summary. Alan, do you mind if I add to my site's page for the episode?

I really wish I'd grabbed all the Keel images in the Canal+ official site while it was still in existence,it might have filled some of my image gaps for the season, but nothing other than the missing cans of film can fill an episode gap like this script - well done!

I wish other owners of the original documents were so ready to share them with the community.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Please feel free to use the script to update your site, Piers. You're more than welcome.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

My sincere thanks too, Alan.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Just to add my thanks to Alan. This is typical of the generosity and enthusiasm, his keeness to share and to help which I've been so fortunate enough to encounter numerous times over the last twenty years or so.
Andrew: you are my mother and I claim my £5. :lol:
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Wow! Thanks Alan!
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Alan wrote:
Andrew Pixley wrote:Just to add my thanks to Alan. This is typical of the generosity and enthusiasm, his keeness to share and to help which I've been so fortunate enough to encounter numerous times over the last twenty years or so.
Andrew: you are my mother and I claim my £5. :lol:
:D
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Oh, that was fun! Particularly the bit when Steed and Keel were holed up in the cupboard, waiting for the "Hampstead bus". Keel sulking away, and Steed taking it all quite cheerfully. "Romantic, isn't it?" :D I'd have loved to see that played out screen
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

What a lovely surprise!

Having read the script, its a shame there is such a lack of scene directions or descriptions, found a lot of it hard to follow. It certainly gets better as it goes along. Herb and Charlie sound like a good double act and Andre being a typically fey little character! Using industrial action to help a scam is rather like Six Hands Across The Table.

But what surprised me most was how under written Ian Hendry's part was. Steed was calling the shots rather a lot. No wonder Hendry would try to rewrite the scripts in rehearsals!

Were there any music cues in the script? I didn't notice any GRAMS like you do on an Adam Adamant Lives! script or a Doctor Who, but then again they are BBC.

Thanks for putting this up.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Herb and Charlie are great, I can see skinny little Robert Desmond playing a Begbie-like Herb although I would have thought Harry Shacklock a bit old for playing Charlie, but I guess that's why he's the softer hood.
Andre was played by Arthur Barrett, AKA Tim Barrett - he played Salt in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station" and is good at fey.

We can see by this stage (episode 24 of 26) Steed has been established as the stronger character and has all the best lines. No wonder Hendry used the strike as an excuse to leave the show, he knew his time was up.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've just updated my page for the episode:
http://www.dissolute.com.au/avweb/keel/125.html

and noted that the generally held production schedule for season one is wrong - this had always been considered episode 25, but must have been recorded prior to "The Deadly Air".

Given that it was an ampex recording, how many episodes might be out there, waiting to be discovered?

I've instructed my readers to join the forum if they want to download the PDF and given full credit to Alan wherever I've mentioned it.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!