The Movie: A Wasted Opportunity

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:
Borgus Weems wrote: Here is a question for Avengers buffs, though I'm not sure if anybody here will know. Does anybody know if the original script was actually filmed, then largely refilmed, or is the current version fairly close to the longer 150 minute version that was tested? Because I understand that the original version of the film had Winter as a mcguffin who was killed off, and it was another character (Valentine) who was the real mastermind. I'm wondering if Valentine was ever cast, and if their part was filmmed and cut out - OR if as soon as Sean Connery agreed to be in the film, they immediately changed the script - OR if Sean Connery was promoted to the main villain once the original film was tested.
I read that original script and it deviates heavily from the script they filmed. It was a fascinating read but was only ever the first draft. It went through many rewrites before they got to the one that was filmed - and then heavily butchered in editing - the editing of course did nothing to change what was wrong.
the question being..will WB ever release a director's cut? as it was originally done..restore all edits etc....
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Post by gaucho vengador »

mousemeat wrote:
Darren wrote:
Borgus Weems wrote: Here is a question for Avengers buffs, though I'm not sure if anybody here will know. Does anybody know if the original script was actually filmed, then largely refilmed, or is the current version fairly close to the longer 150 minute version that was tested? Because I understand that the original version of the film had Winter as a mcguffin who was killed off, and it was another character (Valentine) who was the real mastermind. I'm wondering if Valentine was ever cast, and if their part was filmmed and cut out - OR if as soon as Sean Connery agreed to be in the film, they immediately changed the script - OR if Sean Connery was promoted to the main villain once the original film was tested.
I read that original script and it deviates heavily from the script they filmed. It was a fascinating read but was only ever the first draft. It went through many rewrites before they got to the one that was filmed - and then heavily butchered in editing - the editing of course did nothing to change what was wrong.
the question being..will WB ever release a director's cut? as it was originally done..restore all edits etc....
I´ve read the fragment of the original script Ketman posted. It was filmed for the movie, but it was edited as many scenes, for example, when Emma enters the Gentlemen Club and the employeer tried to stop at the top of the stairs. The original openning scene that is described in the original script was recostructed by a You tube user. Here´s is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbdbFUhJ ... re=related

Instead of it, the opening scene is this. (See minute 2:41)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGMcPJ-K ... re=related

you can see some scenes non edited in this trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTiFsCM ... re=related
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

[quote]Pulled up over flesh. This is EMMA PEEL, scientist. Sexual, invulnerable, cool. Very cool. She locks up at clouds in the sky. Then steps across to the phone box. Picks up the phone.[quote/]

The description above was one of the problems for me. Emma was NOT invulnerable and when we saw her vulnerable and soft was one of the times her character was so inviting for me. I am not drawn to ice cold, super heroine women who are fearless and perfect--in fact, they turn me off as a woman as being starkly comic book; but the TV Emma, while brilliant and talented, was indeed at times vulnerable, fearful, and needed rescuing now and then. That made her much more attractive to me as a fully developed female character.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

My problem with Dr Emma Uma Peel was she was so cold. There was no heart there and zero sense of humour

Then again, Ralph Fiennes had 1% warmth (and I'm being generous as it's Christmas!)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Hello, Dandy,

I think the "invulnerable" aspect of Movie Emma translated into those very personality traits I agree were problematic--the coldness and lack of humor.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Mona wrote:
Pulled up over flesh. This is EMMA PEEL, scientist. Sexual, invulnerable, cool. Very cool. She locks up at clouds in the sky. Then steps across to the phone box. Picks up the phone.
[quote/]
The description above was one of the problems for me. Emma was NOT invulnerable and when we saw her vulnerable and soft was one of the times her character was so inviting for me. I am not drawn to ice cold, super heroine women who are fearless and perfect--in fact, they turn me off as a woman as being starkly comic book; but the TV Emma, while brilliant and talented, was indeed at times vulnerable, fearful, and needed rescuing now and then. That made her much more attractive to me as a fully developed female character.

Mona
I totally agree with you Mona.
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:My problem with Dr Emma Uma Peel was she was so cold. There was no heart there and zero sense of humour

Then again, Ralph Fiennes had 1% warmth (and I'm being generous as it's Christmas!)
You´re right. I agree with you too, Dandy.
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

In Argentina, the film was promoted, but finally, it wasn´t realeased at the movie theaters, we could only watch it in VHS and later on T.V.
Dearesttara
Thingumajig

Post by Dearesttara »

Sorry but Diana is too a cold Emma. Look her in The Joker : she's stoical, emotionless, austere.... Honor Blackman, in Don't look behind you is more expressive, touching. The main default of Emma is she isn't very emotive. It's why I prefer Tara, more warmy...

Uma is a good Emma for me. Of course, she isn't Diana but she understood the character, I am not disappointed by her acting.
Tara King for ever
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dearesttara wrote:Sorry but Diana is too a cold Emma. Look her in The Joker : she's stoical, emotionless, austere.... Honor Blackman, in Don't look behind you is more expressive, touching. The main default of Emma is she isn't very emotive. It's why I prefer Tara, more warmy...

Uma is a good Emma for me. Of course, she isn't Diana but she understood the character, I am not disappointed by her acting.
thurman's ok..in many other films..but sadly, in my opinion, she couldn't
heat up the olde tea kettle, with her flimsy attempt as peel...

just terrible....