Are you pleased with the quality of new dvds?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks, it's been interesting reading your replies. I'm convinced enough to buy the 2 Cathy box sets to replace my tired old videos! I guess there's only so far you can go with improvement on these archaic live telerecordings anyway. The proof of the pudding will be when the Mrs Peel box sets come out in July.
Anyone watched the New Avengers box set with 8 discs? Did these live up to your expectations quality wise?
Thanks, Richard.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

The New Avengers sets - all of them, anywhere in the world - are unrestored. And they look pretty grotty, certainly compared to how the classic series now looks. I'd advise waiting a while.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

norw27 wrote:Agreed, the sound is definitely much improved and probably the best we'll ever get. I for one now find the Cathy Gale episodes much more enjoyable with the improved picture and sound quality and would wholeheartedly recommend these sets.
that has always been a sore point for me, concerning the Gale episodes..less than sharp video, muddy sound...with the recent
re mastering, huge improvement..of course, I sure wish back in the day,
they shot in film...etc..
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

Alan wrote:The New Avengers sets - all of them, anywhere in the world - are unrestored. And they look pretty grotty, certainly compared to how the classic series now looks. I'd advise waiting a while.
That's frustrating! :cry: That would mean, that our new TNA box, that releases in Germany this month is also unrestored. I thought, there would be a chance after the beautiful new restoration of the Tara King and the Emma Peel episodes! :D
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Alan wrote:The New Avengers sets - all of them, anywhere in the world - are unrestored. And they look pretty grotty, certainly compared to how the classic series now looks. I'd advise waiting a while.
Thanks Alan. I nearly bought the TNA box set. Its only £15 on amazon. If the pictures as grotty as you say I'll wait for a restored version. Rich.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

SteedMonk wrote:
That's frustrating! :cry: That would mean, that our new TNA box, that releases in Germany this month is also unrestored. I thought, there would be a chance after the beautiful new restoration of the Tara King and the Emma Peel episodes! :D
As far as I am aware, the German TNA DVDs from Kinowelt will use the same masters as previously released by Contender in 2002 and Optimum in 2006.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Nothing to complain about the quality of the show on the Optimum discs. :) They all look great for episodes made with a video format.
But of course, the real result will be seen in the fourth series. Finally, we'll watch the UNCUT COPIES, with a very good quality ! :wink:
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

JohnSteedFr wrote:Nothing to complain about the quality of the show on the Optimum discs. :) They all look great for episodes made with a video format.
But of course, the real result will be seen in the fourth series. Finally, we'll watch the UNCUT COPIES, with a very good quality ! :wink:
the point being, the DVD's will be only as good as the source material used..
and whether or not, any monies, were spent to repair,clean up, etc on
the source material...which in some cases, was badly stored..and worst.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

The Optimum DVDs have had significant clean-up work done on them. So it really is a case that they are better than, or at least do not have many of the imperfections of, the source materials.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

My Series 3 set arrived today - five hours of extras!! 2500 images, commentaries on many episodes, reconstructions, more Gale Force (or "Gail" Force as the box has it!) interviews... even Avenging the Avengers (which I used to have on video but lost the ability to play long ago). Most of all, cleaned-up prints and sound, as gorgeous as season 2 or even better.

Thanks guys!!
JohnSteedFr wrote:Nothing to complain about the quality of the show on the Optimum discs. :) They all look great for episodes made with a video format.
Yes, I hope they've restored all the missing bits that were left off the Contender sets (The Thirteenth Hole was particularly badly hit).
Last watched: "Concerto"