Songs and music

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rhonda wrote:The music is one of the great things about The Avengers. The Johnny Dankworth theme, being more sedate, suits the early episode atmosphere well. There were recurring tunes in the background music tracks at that time, but they're quite good ones; I like the 'Don't Look Behind You' music. Laurie Johnson's theme tune music is great and I'm really amazed that he could write so much music for each new episode in the time available. One reason why I chose to watch 'Dead Man's Treasure' recently was because of the music, particularly during the car treasure hunt!

What other music reminds me of The Avengers (apart from the ones the stars sung themselves)? Jazz music like Dave Brubeck reminds me of the Cathy Gale era. Lots of sixties pop songs , like Petula Clark's 'Downtown' make me think of Emma's time, and also 'England Swings (like a pendulum do)'. I enjoy catching Tony Blackburn's show, Pick Of The Pops, on Radio 2 on a Saturday afternoon in case it's a 60's year; then it's Avengers time!

good points...I'm just glad that we have so much to choose from...
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:This song, particularly it's lyrics (usefully included in the video), always reminds me of The Avengers - or rather the quaint "Olde Englande" that the show is meant to represent - Avengerland, Murdersville and all of that.

Nice tune as well. It was also made during the show's run.
That's a good choice, Dandy. :D It makes me think of Murdersville as well. There's a very good cover by Kate Rusby I quite like as well, and which was used as theme for Jam & Jerusalem, which featured...Joanna. It's all connected. 8)

"London Can Take It" by Public Service Broadcasting makes me think of the monochrome era of the series, even though it's about WWII, not the Cold War. It has loads of atmosphere.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I too find the Dankworth theme tune and incidental music heavy-handed and fairly dire. Laurie Johnson's theme is wonderful, as is most of his incidental music. It is hard to believe that they were created only a few years apart.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:I too find the Dankworth theme tune and incidental music heavy-handed and fairly dire. Laurie Johnson's theme is wonderful, as is most of his incidental music. It is hard to believe that they were created only a few years apart.
again, keep in mind, the dankworth era and show, was quite different than the Johnson era and Emma Peel
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Great music in 'The Hour That never Was'
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodders wrote:I too find the Dankworth theme tune and incidental music heavy-handed and fairly dire. Laurie Johnson's theme is wonderful, as is most of his incidental music. It is hard to believe that they were created only a few years apart.
Larurie's music certainly stands the test of time. It's also an immediate "lift" when it crops up on other shows, from The Professionals to (if I'm not mistaken) Jason King.

For its time, Dankworth's theme and cues were fairly hot jazz stuff, and I think suit the videotaped episodes well if seen in context, but don't work for a modern audience. There's a reason Howard Blake and Laurie Johnson music sells on CD's and Dankworth's (TV music at least) isn't much sought-after. He's still highly respected in the jazz field though.
Last watched: "Concerto"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Agree that Laurie's music stands the test of time. I get a certain sense of excitement and enthusiasm like the kid in me hearing it all over for the first time. :D
I have not yet have the privilege of seeing the early years so i will be curious about the music but expect I'll be disappointed. Sigh.
It's hard to shift to a new-well really old- partner for Steed when you are used to Tara and Emma but i have heard so many nice things about Honor I will have a go at it finally. :D
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

anti-clockwise wrote:It's hard to shift to a new-well really old- partner for Steed when you are used to Tara and Emma but i have heard so many nice things about Honor I will have a go at it finally. :D
That's the spirit :) she certainly set the pattern of the independent female. Emma owes a lot to her, but because America got only the filmed series at first, Honor's/Cathy's contribution - to The Avengers and to feminism - is drastically underrated.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Thanks Franky. Well I will look at it with open eyes. I think a friend of mine complained about the quality of the film which he described as very grainy when it was shown here on A&E in the 90's. I never got to see it myself. So I appreciate the positive comments. Too bad we never got to see reruns of Honor until pretty recently.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Although film made from videotapes from the early 60s will never look brilliant, the prints used have been restored quite well, they look a heck of a lot better than the 1990s versions. The sound's a lot clearer now too.